A Home, A Dinner, A Bed

FAYE'S POV

I sat on the couch defeated hearing the words that nowhere would take me. I should've just ran when I saw Maya in the car. I should've ran to my house and not come out. There, I was safe. But then out of the darkness and buzzing, I heard the next words out of Maya's mouth. She was offering a place to live, a bed, and food. I had grown to think I could trust her. I wouldn't be on the streets, or in a shelter, or in a group home for troubled kids without a family. I just sat there frozen for a minute reading Maya's eyes. They were focused, sincere, warm. I nodded. I wasn't sure what was going on for the next moment. My hearing went out as the buzzing amplified as I  thought about what was happening. I was going to a new home, with people I barely knew. 

"Ready?" Maya walked back into the office, my buzzing immediately cut out.

"Yeah," I nodded looking up and pulling myself out of my thoughts.

She had changed into her leggings and t-shirt once more. She tossed a jacket onto the couch next to me.

"That is for you," Maya told me, "It is freezing and you need to be wearing a jacket."

"Okay," I smiled, "I would be fine without it. You didn't need to."

Maya looked down at me with a stern look and crossed her arms.

"I'll wear it," I put my hands up defensively. "Thanks for the jacket."

"You're welcome," Maya smiled, "Come on."

I stood up from the couch and threw the jacket on before following Maya back out through the barn and to her car. I climbed back into the passengers seat where I had been sitting not even an hour before, terrified and angry. I was terrified still, but mostly soaked in sadness. I had never really slept outside of that house as long as I could remember. Mom moved us around a lot when I was born, but the house was practically gifted to her when her friend died. Maya kept looking over as we drove and I knew she was trying to check in. I appreciated it, but I also needed space and not feeling like all my movements were being invaded. Soon the headlights lit up a garage covering and Maya put the car in park.

"We are here," Maya announced, "I live up on the first floor."

I smiled, following Maya out. The condo was nice looking. I mean, it wasn't anything fancy in terms of Seattle, but it was nice, well kept, nothing like anything from my part of town. I followed behind Maya keeping my hands in my pockets anxiously. She unlocked the front door and I followed her inside. The space was warm. Not just physically, but the look of it. Maya kicked of her shoes placing them on a rack next to the door and I followed suit laughing under my breath. Mom never cared about the amount of dirt I tracked in.

"Okay, so this is it," Maya motioned to the space. "Very simple, not much, but I can show you around."

I nodded, hesitantly removing my jacket; not wanting to settle down too much just in case.

Maya led me further into the hallway, "So right here is the living room. We have the basic TV, couch, and pull down treadmill since you like to run."

I smirked, slightly embarrassed.

"But maybe wait until Carina clears you," Maya winked.

"I will," I muttered crossing my arms.

"Okay, come on," Maya led me on further into the apartment. "Dining room. Self explanatory. And then over here is the kitchen. I am paranoid about having food here so it is always stocked. Carina is a much better cook, so she does most of the meals. I am a neat freak, so I do all the cleanup."

I nodded as Maya placed her hand on my shoulder giving it a squeeze. My brain was running. This was too nice, why? I couldn't just live here and eat all the food they bought.