Chapter 30

10 Years Later

"Bonjour belle femme!"

"Bonjour monsieur," I greeted back to the vendor I always pass by every morning when I go to the train station to work. Just like in the Philippines, the people here are warm and polite.

Luxembourg has a diverse range of breathtaking scenery, charming towns, and tranquil villages with a variety of cultures. A Luxembourgish life is full of pastoral idylls, raw natural beauty, wide avenues, plaster facades, and sandstone castles, just like in fairytales, which are built in the middle ages with medieval remnants.

The mode of transportation is also free, making it the world's first country to provide national-scale free public transportation. Isn't that spellbinding? You can even speak in a variety of languages depending on your preferences. Every food and drink in a fancy establishment has a specialty that you can't get enough of in just one bite. Because of the good wages and business opportunities, it's a comfortable and beautiful place to live in.

"Good morning, Dr. Gonora. It'll be another hectic day. Since yesterday, patients have been piling up at your door. You sure you can handle it?" says the head nurse, Alexa. She's still young, around mid-twenties. Nakakainggit nga. I'm in my early thirties. Yup, I'm that old and on the verge of dying.

"I'm sure I can. Besides, I have the best assistant, Halina." I grinned as I slid my belongings into my locker and put on my white coat. "Where is she, anyway?" Fixing my hair in a bun, I gave her a look.

"Oh, right. I think I saw her earlier, roaming around. Would you like me to contact her? She probably did not get another wink of sleep. Damn insomnia. I kept telling her to go home and rest, but she's so stubborn, making this hospital her home."

"I'll take it from here, Alexa. Thank you." Binigyan ko siya ng casual kong ngiti. "I'll treat you to lunch later."

"Nah. I'm only taking a half-day. My boyfriend and I have a date." Kilig na kilig naman siya na parang pinapainggit pa ako.

I rolled my eyes. "Have fun, then. Wish my life could get better than yours."

Tinawanan niya ako. "Silly! You have everything I want in life: a high-paying job, a pleasant attitude, and a sweet Charel Luis Schroeder. You'll probably become a duchess one of these days. Don't you dare forget to invite me to your royal wedding."

"Alexa!" Halos lumuwa na ang mga mata ko kakatitig sa kanya. Meanwhile, she's having a good time with those naughty smiles of hers. "You know I couldn't afford to date Charel. He's too out of my league. Besides, I'm already happy even without a boyfriend or husband. And, please keep your tone of voice down when you're talking about him. He's that famous."

"You can't make me stop talking, darling! I'm always looking forward to hearing about your romance with Charel. How long has it been? What, five years? Come on, you silly flirtatious woman, date him and have a good nigh sex!"

Napatakip ako sa mukha. I kept shaking my head, trying to ignore what she had just said, but I couldn't stop smiling. Bakit ba kasi palagi na lang nilang binabanggit si Charel? Oo, hindi lang si Alexa ang nang-aasar sa akin using his name and social status. I don't know if it's a genuine support or just they're just being sarcastic to tease me since I already showed them that I don't have the intention of being Charel's girlfriend.

"No, Alexa. No Charel. No duchess. No royal wedding. Nah-dah! So, stop dreaming already, will you?"

You heard it right. This place has its own duke and duchess; princes and princesses since Luxembourg is a monarchical country with its royal family. And Charel is one of the nine monarchs' dukes. Akala ko pa naman normal na tao lang siya 'nong magkakilala kami sa simbahan. He doesn't appear to have that kind of power, eh. Pero buti na lang ay nalaman ko rin naman agad.