TWO

Jimin woke up at the crack of dawn. He didn't even have breakfast as he hurried to the backyard. He was inspired and ready to finish his sculpture but as he neared the backyard, he could feel a presence in there.

He grabbed his stick tighter and flung it in the air.

"Who's there? Who's the trespasser?"

He flung the stick again and felt it hit something solid.

"Ouch!" He heard a voice cry out in pain. Jimin immediately recognized the voice and from the sound, he made his way to the person who was hit and felt his body.

"Are you okay?"

"You're pretty tough..." Taehyung said with a strained voice.

"It's you!" Jimin recognized him straight away. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I was about to but then your stick flew and bam straight to my face"

Jimin immediately felt sorry. "I'm so sorry. It's just I'm very protective of this place. Because of my condition, I've had several of my works stolen by art thieves!"

"It's fine. I'm okay don't worry" He straightened himself and subtly eyed the sculpture "I can understand your fear. Your work..."

He paused. "They are beautiful, exquisite. One of the best I've ever seen"

"You could actually go far with your talent"

Jimin laughed nervously. "Thanks but who will take a blind man seriously? I'll probably be cheated because of my condition"

"Don't sell yourself short! You're great! Your work is great..
And so are you"

His heart trembled just a tiny bit but he shrugged it off. That part of him had long been dormant. Why would it resurface again over a mere stranger's words?

"I guess I'll leave you now to continue your work" Taehyung said and turned to leave.

"Wait! Have you had breakfast? I figured you didn't have anything yesterday night" Jimin said.

Taehyung shrugged. "Don't bother. I saw a diner not too far from here. I could grab a bite there"

"Absolutely not!" Jimin said firmly. "The inn is responsible for your meals!"

Taehyung wanted to laugh. "Really? With three thousand won?"

Jimin smiled and Taehyung couldn't help thinking his smile was the most prettiest thing he had ever seen but he brushed the thought aside and focused on what he was saying.

"You would be surprised how cheap things can be here!"

"People grow their own food. Most of the things we use here are home made so we don't import much"

Taehyung nodded and shrugged. This place was much too rustic for him. He loved adventure alright but he couldn't imagine settling down here. He loved places that were lively, places where the nights are always busy. He would die of boredom if he lived here. Jimin continued. "Do wait a bit. I'll just make some finishing touches to my work then make us breakfast"

Taehyung was surprised. "You can cook?"

Jimin frowned. "What? You don't think a blind man can cook?"

The other turned red, instantly embarrassed.

"No... I didn't mean that. It's just most blind people I know always have things done for them"

Jimin smiled, both eyes slanting. It made him appear more innocent and very cute.

"Well not me. I refuse to let my blindness define me. It was hard at first but I was able to live with it. As long as I know where things are, I can do anything. Everything has to be kept in place or I'll end up a mess"