ONE

Today was more windy than normal. Jimin stood feeling the breeze blow all around him. Sighing heavily, he raised his hands to feel the flowers growing in front of the building. How he wished he could behold their beauty once again but unfortunately, it was a hopeless and fruitless dream, far beyond his expectations now so he stopped hoping.

However, despite everything, he was content with his life as it was now. His life had once been a roller coaster, a busy one full with activities. He never dreamed that a day would come when he would sit in one place and just relax but he was liking it now, settling into it as best as he could. Soon, he got bored of hearing the sound of the breeze and feeling the cold air on his face. It was time to return to the motel and continue doing what makes him some money.

He walked through the doors beating his cane hard on the ground as he let it guide him back into the house.

It had been five years now since he had lost his sight in a tragic car accident that had unfortunately claimed the life of his parents. They had been coming back home together in their car when they unfortunately ran into an incoming truck. Both his parents had died on the spot while he had sustained tremendous injuries that had him bedridden for nearly a month. Unfortunately, the most damage had been to his eyes. Doctors said they would need billions of won to carry out surgery on his eyes but where on earth was Jimin supposed to get that kind of money?

He had nothing except an old motel his late parents had left for him. Now with this challenge, he couldn't even work to earn money. He basically felt his life was finished. The thought of having to live as a blind person for the rest of his life left him feeling hopeless but after a while, he managed to slowly come out of his depression. As long as there was life, there was still hope. Surely one day, a miracle would happen and he would be able to see again but a year turned into two. Two into three until it became five years.

Time had passed and Jimin slowly learned to live with his disability. He learned to differentiate things thoroughly. He could know a person by the way they talked, walked. He could even tell by their scent. Every human being had a distinct scent and Jimin learnt to distinguish them.

If he wasn't busy attending to guests, he would be busy sculpting away, his hands at work with the clay trying his best to make his sculpting appear more realistic. He had learned arts in school. It was what he was most good at and sometimes, he sold his sculptures for a sizeable amount of money.

At present, he was working on a sculpture he was yet to finish so he sat on the stool in front of the clay mixture and let his hands do its magic.

"Jimin! Jimin!"

The voice of his aunt Yumi rang in his head but he ignored her not wanting to loose his momentum.

He could hear her sigh in dissatisfaction from where she stood behind him.

"You are going to pretend you didn't hear right?"

Jimin continued with what he was doing. "What is it now Aunt?"

"A guest just arrived" She replied.

"Really?" Jimin piqued up with interest. They hadn't had a guest in a while so it wasn't a surprise that he was excited.

Yumi snickered. "Look at you. Getting all happy! Hold your horses. This guest doesn't look rich"

"He's probably just a poor tourist. He was asking for one of our cheapest rooms"

Jimin shook his head. "It doesn't matter. He's still a guest"

He stood up from his stool and wiped his hands. "I'll be right there. Let me tidy up a little"