Chapter Two

Thea woke up the sound of Kreacher's voice, telling her she was needed downstairs. Frowning, she gathered herself and knocked on Sirius door, but alas there was no answer. 

It wasn't abnormal for Sirius to disappear from the house over break. He tended to disappear for a few days, especially when things got bad, usually staying over at the Potter household.

She ventured to the kitchen to find her mother standing at the sink and Regulus sitting at the table, rubbing tired eyes. 

"Oh Dorothea," Walburga said dryly, barely noting her daughter's appearance. "Go put on a nice dress. Regulus and I are taking you to town to buy some of your school supplies, robes, and a wand."

Thea nearly stopped breathing at those words, wanting to pinch her skin to make sure she wasn't dreaming. "You mean I'm going to town with you? Like leaving the house?"

Walburga turned abruptly toward her, maintaining a sour face. "Do not make me repeat myself Dorothea. And definitely do not make me regret my decision. Go now."

"Yes mother," Dorothea replied sternly, but when she turned away from her mother a giant smile was plastered to her face. Merlin, I wish Sirius was here to hear this.

She spent no time searching for the perfect close in her closet, she owned a total of two pairs of nice clothing- two identical dresses. She grimaced at herself in the mirror with the old-fashioned material on. The dress fell to just above her knees, a silky, dark material. She finished the outfit off with a small matching ribbon tying half of her hair up. 

Dorothea still remembered when her mother had gifted her the dresses, around two years ago. It was what she had to wear to come down for meals. Walburga had told her if she wasn't too look like a Black, she was to dress like one. And she hated it, the dresses and the gloomy attire. Being tied down to the Black name and the expectations that came to it. 

When she returned to the living room,  her mother was in her room, but Regulus still sat at the table.

"Reg? Aren't you so excited?" Thea whispered, barely being able to hold her emotions in. Regulus tired eyes swept towards her, offering her a weak smile.

"It's very exciting," Regulus answered. Thea looked at her younger brother for a moment, studying his exhausted features before she frowned. 

"You know Reg, you don't always have to be the golden child. You don't have to reach her impossible standards."

"Yes I do," he snapped, causing Thea to step back suddenly before Regulus sighed. "Someone has to. It's not all hard." 

"Are you ready Dorothea?" she questioned. 

"Yes ma'am," Thea answered, but it wasn't quite load enough. Sternly, Walburga grabbed Thea by the face and held her still. Thea tried to breathe, but her throat felt tight as she fought panic from invading her mind. 

"What did I tell you about mumbling," her mother growled.

"A sentence- a sentence mumbled isn't worth repeating," Thea breathed out.

"Good. It's rude, and not lady like," she answered, pushing her face away. 

Regulus eyed the scene anxiously, wishing to interfere. He always wished to when he heard his mother scream, or the sound of her skin hitting one of her children, especially when the words Crucio left her mouth. But he knew it was his job to stay, to be good. Nonetheless, he couldn't ignore the eating feeling that if he was the one at the butt-end, Thea or Sirius would have stopped her.

"Now you watch over your sister when you come back," Walburga began. "She has much potential as a women can have. Must have beaten every bad thought out of her."

Regulus nodded is head, biting his tongue. 

"Alright, let's go."