Chapter 3 Snake bit

My grandma named the baby as Baha it is an Arabic name which means beautiful.

Things changed when my brother was born. More attention was given to him. My grandma had quit telling stories to me and she habitually carries Baha in her hand. My mom was occupied with house work and taking care of Baha. My dad didn't talk to me like he used to do. No matter what he comes bringing toys and sweets. But now it's no more. He brings them for my brother but I never hated my brother. I loved him. Atleast I can spend some time. I considered that I had enough of toys and attention now it's my brother's turn.

I turned eleven few days back. My brother passed his stage of a toddler now he is five. He was put to the same school I was going to.

"Are you afraid?" I asked him

"No.. maybe a little" I knew he was scared.

"It's okay to be, I was scared too.. but you know it's fun going to school. You will have alot of friends they will help you out. Okay?" I was trying my best to calm him down.

The first time I had come to school alot of them bullied me. They used to call me weirdo also the names I didn't know. But then there were the three more like the three musketeers. They supported me and I am quite popular in school.

Problems are to be solved

Studies were tough. It's challenging and I like it.

Now I am thirteen. A teen and the society is a total opposite than I used to see. No peace I could say. No privacy. I remember when I was small all the Ayyas(sinhalese word meaning elder brothers) were friendly and now I am a total different person to them. They don't talk to me, they just stare at me like they have never seen me.

One day I was walking on the way to school and there was this shop with many clothes. They were beautiful. When I came from school, I sketched the clothes the way they were designed and then day by day I started improving my design skills. I sketched my own designs. 'Perfecto' I said to myself.

I got good grades. I got many certificates and was really good in races. I didn't know what I should go for. Then I thought maybe I could go for all. I started reading alot books. I loved playing cricket too.

My brother he was growing up too and I could say he has been spoiled. He plays video games whole weekends. Once he broke dad's favourite watch and he put the fault on me. I told my dad numerous times that I didn't do it but he didn't tend to listen. He smacked me on my face and I was beaten up by a belt for what I didn't do. With all the bruises I came up to my brother and asked as to why he would do such childish work.

"I didn't want me to get caught."he answered coolheaded.

"And are you happy about it?"I asked befuddled.

"Well I can't say I am happy that you were beaten up by dad but I am happy that I didn't get caught"

I didn't like how my life was going. Things are not as it is. No one cares about me. Most of the days I used to cry in the washroom how my dad would hit me everyday and also that everyone ignores me in the house. My grandma used every hurtful word she could. Things have been complicated. Was I not good enough? How will my life be? Will I be able to fulfill my dreams? Life sucks.

I worked hard as I could. I improved in my results but I was the only one who was happy about it. Showing all the results and certificates there would be no reaction in their faces. They would say

"Now your fourteen and you should know to clean all the dishes. You should know to cook" dad just went upstairs without any encouragement.