Chapter Thirty-Seven

We mingle for the next hour, eating hors d'oeuvres and catching up with family and friends. Miranda is the heart and soul of the family, and everyone came out in droves to celebrate her birthday and retirement.

"This is my future daughter-in-law, Lacey. Well, she will be... when my son hurries up and puts a ring on her finger."

Braden squeezes my hand, acknowledging the awkwardness of the situation that only he, I and Brandy know. The rest of them laugh with the obligatory politeness as we finish offering greetings and pleasantries.

"I don't understand how you haven't already," she says, smiling sweetly.

"Pretty sure tonight's supposed to be about you­, Mom," Brandy says, before looking at me with pity and mouthing, "I'm sorry."

Miranda's gaze moves between the three of us and laughs. "Alright, alright, I can take the hint. No more wedding talk." The party planner approaches and whispers something in Miranda's ear. "Sounds like dinner is ready. Shall we all make our way to the table?"

We walk over to the table, where a beautiful spread is set for the occasion. Braden pulls out a chair for me before taking his place beside me. I must say, he's been the perfect gentleman all evening, despite my resistance at nearly everything he's done. A part of me longs for this to be my normal; dinner with my boyfriend and his family, annoying comments about when we're going to get married or have babies, cuddles with Tassie, and a sister-in-law who I know will always have my back. I allow myself to embrace the moment, if only for the night, and immerse myself in the experience.

"So, Lacey, Braden tells us you've been busy putting criminals away," Dimitrios says, shoving another forkful of salad into his mouth.

All eyes at the table are on me in anticipation of my answer. My own eyes grow wide as I freeze. Surely Braden hasn't mentioned this predicament he's gotten me in with his family? "I beg your pardon?"

"Your work at the library with law enforcement. Sounds pretty important."

My breath rushes past my lips as I sigh with relief. "Ah, that. It's been interesting researching the archives looking for anything that may help solve cold cases. I think we're finally close to solving one."

There are nods of approval and interest around the table from the guests. "Honey, can we save the work talk for another time?" Brandy suggests, sending Dimitrios a stern but loving look.

"Of course," he says. "Where are my manners?" He shoots me a wink and mouths, "Meet me by the chocolate fountain after dinner."

Laughing, I mouth back, "You've got it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of dinner went well. Different family members and friends offered speeches, honouring Miranda's life and accomplishments.

"Mom wants us to take some family photos, you two," Brandy says, walking over with her plate of dessert.

"Braden was just heading over," I reply, taking the plate from his hand.

"She specifically mentioned she wanted her, and I quote, future daughter-in-law in the photos. I'm guessing she means you."

"You don't have to do this, Lace," Braden says, compassion and understanding in his eyes.

"It's fine. I've come this far. What's a set of family photos with my ex-boyfriend's family?"

I spin around to walk towards the photo wall and collide with Dimitrios' tall, sturdy body. Scalding hot liquid splashes across my front as his coffee spills all over my dress.