Chapter Eight

I close my eyes, waiting for the feeling of cold steel against my head. Surely, he's going to threaten to kill me. I have seen enough movies and crime shows to know how this goes, I just never expected that I would have to live it out in real life. Play it smart, Lacey. That's the only way out of this alive. I take a deep breath, trying to figure out what I can say to buy myself some more time.

As expected, I do feel something cold, but it is not steel, and it is very wet. "You've always liked it when I tease you with ice cubes," Braden whispers in my ear, trailing the ice cube along my collarbone then down my cleavage. His warm breath, mixed with the cold ice, gives me involuntary shivers and I open my eyes in time to see him break out into a grin.

There is a battle waging between my body and my mind, and my body is currently winning. Damn body, always giving me away. All my resistance starts to melt away the same way the ice cube continues to melt against my skin.

"I know you, Lace," Braden sings, as he unbuttons my blouse with his free hand. "I know you still love me." His pulls my head towards his shoulder while his lips make gentle contact with the nape of my neck. "And I'm sorry, baby. I never wanted to hurt you. Our meeting may have been planned, but my falling for you most certainly was not."

"You...you actually loved me?" His admission catches me off guard and the words spill out of my mouth before I have a chance to stop them.

"Of course I did, sweetheart; and I still do." He reaches behind me, unhooks my bra and frees one of my breasts. "And it kills me to know you spent the night with him."

His unintentional mention of Nikolai brings me back to the present moment and I remember the real reason why I ended up with him last night. Anger replacing my arousal, I snap back, "Yet, here you are, trying to get me to cooperate with this plan of yours."

"I wouldn't ask you to if it wasn't absolutely necessary, Lace." He looks at me pleadingly, "you've got to trust me."

Braden glances down at my lips and I instinctively glance at his own. He notices, smiles and quickly leans in and kisses me. His lips soft and warm, his tongue gently teasing my lip, asking for access. I part my lips as he circles the melting ice cube around my hard nipple. I moan, my traitorous body giving me away again as he kisses me deeper and more passionately.

"I hate that you make me feel so good," I sigh against his lips, my body consumed with desire.

"Really?" he chuckles, "'Cause from where I'm standing, you rather like it." He lowers his head to my chest and takes me into his mouth, swirling his tongue around my nipple in between playful bites and gentle sucking. "I want you so bad, baby," he says, tugging at my breast with his teeth.

"Bray, I...," I am having the hardest time forming words as I try to come to terms with everything that has happened and is currently happening. Could it be true? I wasn't wrong about our relationship? Everything within me wants this to stop and keep going all at the same time. I let my head fall back and embrace the pleasure, choosing to ignore the confusion rippling through my mind and body.

He throws what is left of the ice to the side and removes the rest of my shirt. His hand starts to massage one breast while his mouth devours the other. I grab the back of his head and hold him against me, fully immersed in passion.

He straightens up and pulls my head towards his, bringing his lips to mine again. Our tongues dance around each other, our lustful moans filling the air, as I begin to pull off his shirt. Braden lifts me up and sits me on the counter and I lean back in anticipation.

A loud sound pierces through the silence as my ringtone goes off. "Shit! My cab's here." I quickly grab my phone and let the driver know I will be down in a few minutes. "I've got to get to work."