Chapter Six

He leads me from behind, his hand firm on my back, guiding me through the crowded dancefloor. We stop briefly at the bar where he clears his tab. That momentary removal of his touch leaves me in want, craving to feel his palm against my skin again. He looks at me with a sexy grin, fully aware of the power he holds over me in this moment. I get lost in his smile and lose my balance.

"Easy now, beautiful," he chuckles, with a laugh that could bring a dead heart back to life. "Maybe that third shot was a bit much for you."

It's not the alcohol I'm drunk on, it's you.

"I'm good, honest." Not feeling the effects of the alcohol at all, I send him a reassuring smile. His grin grows wider and I feel his fingertips roaming my back once again.

He leans in towards me and I raise my head in anticipation of feeling his lips against mine. "You keep looking at me like that and I'll have to take you right here in this club," his sultry voice in my ear makes me weak in the knees. "Do you understand me?"

My entire face turns red as I picture the things he could do to me in this club. Part of me wants to call his bluff, knowing full well that he does not seem like the type of man to bluff. "Y-y-yes, sir," I stammer. For the first time since the breakup happened, my rational side won out and I find I am somewhat disappointed in myself. Who are you and what have you done with Lacey?

He gives me a knowing smile then proceeds to guide me out of the club. I turn towards him and watch as he takes me in from top to bottom. His eyes come alive as he looks at me in the glow of the streetlight, dimples forming in his cheeks as his mouth spreads into a panty-dropping grin. No one has ever looked at me like this before.

Standing outside, waiting for the valet, the reality of what was about to happen finally catches up with me. "Wait..."

"Changing your mind?" The nonchalance in his voice brings me pause, as though it means little to him if I decide to leave. Something about that hurts, which is silly because I barely know the guy.

"Yes...I mean, no...I mean..."

He chuckles, watching me in amusement as I struggle to form a simple sentence. Speak, Lace. Just put words together. It's not that hard.

I stand there, eyes downcast, awkwardly scratching my arm, willing myself to look at him before he walks away from my life forever. I feel his fingers meet the skin of my back and he starts to run them up and down again. That simple movement brings a calmness over me. With a deep breath, I make my request. "It's already a crazy thing to leave with a stranger from the club, but I don't even know your name."

He releases a sigh of relief, (was he worried I'd leave?), and lets out a hearty laugh. "Is that all?" He laughs again and I feel embarrassed for asking. "My name is Nikolai," his deep baritone voice washes over me, "problem solved."

"Do you want to know my name?" I ask with a timid whisper, raising my finger to my lips.

"It makes no difference to me, but if it's important to you, yes."

"Okay..." Give him a fake name, you don't know the guy. "I'm Lacey." Well played, Lace.

"Lacey..." He says my name and pauses, as though he is swishing it around in his mouth like a taste of fine wine. "A beautiful name for a beautiful woman."

I blush as he maintains his hypnotic hold over me with his eyes. "Just so you know, I don't normally do this."

"Oh, I know," he smirks and pulls me closer.

"How?"

Nikolai leans in, intoxicating me with his scent, holding the side of my face with his free hand as the fingers from his other hand trail down my spine past the small of my back, playfully plucking at the hem of my thong. I feel his breath against my cheek as my own catches in my chest. "Your innocence oozes out of you," he murmurs, "and I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame."