Hide and Seek - Y/n and Karl

"Stop cheating!" The boy shouted, outraged. He couldn't have been any older than 5, maybe 6 at a stretch. 

"I'm not cheating!" The even smaller girl exclaimed. She was so young that her speech was broken into ingle syllables. 

"I can see you peeking!" The boy said again. The girl shook her head, giggling at her brother's little tantrum. 

"One..." The girl started to count. "Two..." She paused for a second, trying to think of what came next. 

"Stop!" Her older brother whined. His baby sister continued to count, just saying random numbers now that she had gotten to 5 and didn't know any of the numbers that came after. "I'm telling Mommy!" The boy stormed off, disappearing into the house. He came back a few minutes later, dragging his mother into the garden. 

"Now now Y/n, what's this I hear about you not being fair?" Mom scolded lightly, giving Y/n a soft tap on the nose, sending the three-year-old into fits of giggles. 

"Mommy, hide and seek!" She exclaimed excitedly, clapping her hands together.

"You're playing hide and seek?" Y/n nodded, grinning. "Well, Karl over here tells me that you're cheating."

Y/n looked over at Karl sulking some paces back and then turned back to her mom with big, innocent eyes. 

"I count!" Y/n said, covering her eyes with her hands and began to count again. "One, two, three, four, um, five..." She trailed off, thinking hard. "A hundred thousand billion!" She shouted, jumping with her hands in the air. Her mom laughed and pulled on one of her pigtails, which made her laugh harder. 

"Alright, why don't we stop playing for a minute and go inside to each lunch?" Their mother suggested.

"Okay!" Karl said, cheering up immediately and running inside. Y/n, seeing her brother going in, ran after him, shouting at him to wait. By the time their mother got inside, the two were already fighting over the sandwiches, even though they were the exact same. 

*************************************************

Years past but the bond between the Jacobs siblings remained the same. The younger girl who would laugh at everything and the older boy who would make her laugh. As the two giggled and ran from one another in the middle of the market place, several people turned their heads in annoyance but couldn't help but smile when they saw the two children playing happily.

"Y/n, stop!" Karl, now 13. He gave up on chasing the girl. "Mom says we have to get more food and bring it back before dinner!" He called. There was no answer from his sister. Karl looked around in confusion, clutching the basket their mother had given them to carry the food in. Right now, it was empty and the money in his pocket jingled as he walked. "Y/n?" 

Karl screamed as someone grabbed his shoulders from behind and jumped onto his back, earning several looks from the local shoppers. He heard his sister giggling in his ear. 

"Y/n!" He scolded, pushing her off. She turned to look at him innocently. 

"Yes Karl?" She replies sweetly. Karl groaned and gave her a light push and she laughed. 

"Come on we have to get back before dinner otherwise Mom is going to blame me for not looking after you properly." He says. 

"Well maybe you should tell her that I don't need looking after." Y/n says whilst grabbing an apple off one of the nearby stalls. "I'm 10, nearly 11 in a few months" She whined. 

"Y/n! I saw that!" Karl whisper shouts at her. She shrugs and takes a bite of the apple before offering it to him. He gave her a look before taking the apple and eating it. 

"Let's play one more game." Y/n says turning to her brother. Karl groaned and shook his head. 

"No the sun's nearly setting we have to get home." Karl told her. The girl studies her brother as he hands money over to the stall-keeper in exchange for fish. He placed it into his basket. 

"Are you going through puberty?" Y/n asked, unexpectedly. Karl immediately turned around and gave her a weird look. "Is that why you're so moody now?"

"What? No!" He says. 

"Mom told me that when you get older you go through puberty and you get all sad and lonely and moody." Y/n says, nodding seriously. Karl pushed her. 

"Fine." He gives in. "Let's play another game." 

He laughs as he watches her sister's face light up. She clapped her hands. "I'm counting!" She exclaims. Karl nodded as he darts off, looking for somewhere to hide. 

When Y/n got to 100, she opens her eyes and immediately sets off to find Karl. She pushes her way through the crowd of people and crawls into small spaces in hopes of finding her brother. At last, she hears him giggling from behind a tree and she caught a glimpse of his brown hair. 

I got you, she smiles at the thought of being victorious. 

As she neared the tree, Karl stayed absolutely still and Y/n wasn't sure if he was still there or if he had run off without her noticing. Her doubt cleared away when she saw a bright flash from behind the tree. Karl must've shone his torch by accident. 

What an idiot  She thinks to herself

However, when she peaked behind the tree, there was no sign of Karl. There was no sign of his mousy, brown hair, there was no sound of his laugh. The only indicator that he had been there was the basket of food on the ground. She looked around for him but saw nothing but the fallinf darkness of the fast-approaching nightfall. 

Karl was gone.