In Another Life - Dream and Y/n

This is set in a different Timeline, one similar to ours. But since this isn't in the DreamSMP au, everything will be written from Karl's POV. 

This has absolutely no link to my current story - I just needed to focus on something else since I have writer's block and literally don't know what to write and I thought that this might be fun

I watched through the window of the hospital room as my sister, along with one other trainee stood to the side as they watched the midwife delivering the baby, offering as much help as they could. Y/n was soothing the woman giving birth, murmuring instructions in her ear to make this an easy birth for her. She hoped that it wouldn't be a caesarian - those were always messy. I could hear the woman screaming, even from outside the room, and Y/n's muffled voice, trying to comfort her. 

The woman was young, maybe early twenties, around Y/n's age - barely an adult and hardly financially stable enough to support a child. She was incredibly pretty - her blonde hair was in perfect curls and her make-up was still perfect, even though she was going through the immense pain of birthing a child. 

"I see the head!" The midwife suddenly shouted. The other trainee left the room, probably to prepare a bath for the newborn. I could hear Y/n urging the woman to push harder. 

"Here it is!" The midwife shouted again. The woman let out another sound of agony and I saw Y/n pick up her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. 

The woman's voice slowly died down, only to be replaced by a loud cry that didn't come from her. The sound of a new life. 

"It's a boy!" The midwife announced and the woman in the hospital bed closed her eyes, chest heaving up and down in relief. Relief that it was finally over. Y/n gave her a smile before taking the baby wrapped in clean linen and headed out the door, rocking the newborn in her arms to stop it from crying. It worked. She walked past me, heading down the corridor and then turned the corner, disappearing from my sight. I turned my attention back to the new mother and saw the midwife fussing over her, making sure if she was alright. I decided that I didn't want to watch them anymore and I took a seat in one of the chairs in the waiting room, picking up a magazine and flicking through it, nothing really catching my interest. 

Many people entered and left the room whilst I was distracted but I wasn't interested in it unless it was my sister but she had yet to return. At last, the cooing of a baby brought my attention away from the magazine and I looked up. Y/n was returning to the room with the baby in her arms and I followed her in. No one saw me - no one could see me anyways. I entered the room behind her and immediately took the chair in the corner of the room.

However, I noticed that as Y/n looked up from the baby, her smile froze along with the rest of her body. The man at the woman's side froze too. 

There was some recognition in both their eyes, a familiarity that they both shared. I saw my sister put on a painful smile as she stared into his green eyes and glanced over his soft, blonde hair. He stood up. 

"Congratulations." Y/n said when she realized that they had all been silent for way too long. Luckily for them, the mother seemed too exhausted to notice anything strange. "You are a father to a beautiful baby boy." I could tell that she was trying her best to keep her voice even. The man nodded. 

"Can I hold him?" He whispered. Y/n nodded, still looking at him painfully. 

"Yeah, careful of the head." She said as he moved closer to her and she handed the baby to him. Her body went stiff when his arm touched hers but she quickly recovered. The man was looking down at the baby with an expression that I could not understand. A look of admiration and love and some other emotions that I couldn't pick out. He looked like he was about to cry of happiness. 

"Is there a name for him?" Y/n asks softly, smiling still. The woman on the bed nodded. 

"Ewan." She said, looking over at her partner lovingly. "Can I hold him?" She asked. 

As he gave her baby Ewan, my sister's smile vanished once more. She just nodded silently and then put on another smile. 

"You guys are going to be great parents." She said and the woman beamed back at her. "I'll give you two some alone time." She said, backing out the door and closing it. I followed her out and as soon as the door was closed, her smile faded and she bit her lip as a tear slid out of her eyes. She quickly wiped it away and hurried down the corridor, probably to get her stuff, ready to go home. I glanced at the clock on the wall and it told me that it was nearly midnight. 

As I found my way out of the hospital and into the parking lot, I found Y/n already there, sat on a bench. Her gaze was fixed on the floor and her hands were clasped together on her legs. Tears slowly streamed down her cheeks. I approached her, making myself visible since I knew that I was supposed to step in at this part to give her a ride home.

"Y/n?" 

She jumps at the mention of her name and quickly wiped her tears and looked up at me. "Oh, hey Karl!" She said, feigning happiness. It made me cringe at the thought that she had to pretend around me. 

"Are you okay?" I asked, concerned. She nodded. 

"Yeah I'm fine!"

"You're  lying." I said, sitting down next to her on the bench. She shuffled to the side, giving me more room. "What's up?" She turned away and started staring at the ground again. 

"I helped deliver a baby today." She said, tears reappearing in her eyes. 

"That's great!" I said. "That's a good thing. You've always wanted to be a midwife."

She nodded, her salty tears running into her mouth. "I helped deliver Dream's baby." Her voice was empty. "It was a baby boy." 

I kept my mouth shut and didn't say anything, signaling for her to continue. She took a deep breath in and looked down at her hands as she spoke. 

"They named him Ewan." She told me in a monotone voice. The bright lights of the hospital sign made her hair look blue. "The same name that me and Dream agreed to name our baby, if we ever had one." She sighed. "I shouldn't be upset. It's been two years and I should've moved on. I should be happy for him."

"You still love him." I said softly, looking at her. Her blank gaze stared ahead. 

"I shouldn't do." She said numbly. "I'm 24 now, I should focus on bigger things. But I can't."

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to just sit there, watching the one you love falling for someone else, starting a family whilst knowing that you would never end up together. Just that little glimmer of selfish hope inside you, looking for some way that you could. 

"Maybe in another life." I said as I stood up, patting her back.