Desperate Relief

Park Hyun-ki had headed to the airport, desperately hoping that the situation would be resolved soon. He had arrived in good time, and as soon as the flight from Seoul had landed he started calling, texting and messaging Seri's number; but he didn't get a response from her. Now he waited anxiously at the first class arrivals area. It was just a question of waiting, not sure of how long it would take her to collect her baggage and clear immigration. He didn't dare take his eyes off the steady stream of people coming through the doors. It had been a while, so she should be here soon. He didn't like to think of what it would mean if she wasn't.

He scanned the new crowd emerging from the security doors. There she was! Her petite figure was dwarfed by a group of businessmen walking slowly, deep in conversation. She was trying to get round them, but they didn't notice.

"Seri, Seri!" He waved urgently at her. "Thank goodness!"

She saw him. She squeezed her way past the men, ignoring their frowns as she bumped one of them with her suitcase and she came rushing over.

"Park Hyun-ki! Oh, I'm so glad to see you! How's Jeong-hyeok? He must be going crazy."

"He is! Is everything ok? He's at the concert hall, you must phone him."

"I can't. My phone broke. And there was no internet on the flight. Can I use yours?" She looked almost as agitated as Jeong-hyeok had been.

"Of course! Here!" Hyun-ki had the number ready to go.

"Thanks." Seri took the phone from him as it connected to Jeong-hyeok's mobile.

                                -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jeong-hyeok was pacing the dressing room still, his phone in his hand ready. It barely rang before he answered. His heart beating fast, he put it to his ear for the news.

"Jeong-hyeok, oh I'm so, so sorry."

"Seri! Thank God! Where are you?"

Her voice. At last.

"I'm with Park Hyun-ki. It's all my fault. I was running late, and I broke my phone. And the flight was horrible, we were hit by lightning and there was no internet. I'm so, so sorry for worrying you." She was gabbling out her explanations, she seemed desperate for him to know.

"You're safe, that's what matters." He found himself shaking with relief and he sat down heavily in the chair.

"I should have been with you. I should have caught the earlier flight. I should have come to Los Angeles. Are you ok?" 

He could tell from her voice she was still upset.

"Yes. Yes, I am now." Gradually, his own tension was easing the more she talked. She was safe. It was all a mistake. She was upset that she had worried him.

"I was so scared, we had so much turbulence." Seri was still rushing out everything she had been thinking about on the flight.

"Jeong-hyeok, I love you. I haven't said that recently, but I do. I was so scared and felt so alone on that plane. I knew I would have to tell you that as soon as I could if I arrived safely."

"Oh Seri! Thank you. I'm so relieved you're safe. I was scared too." He found his eyes prickling with tears of relief. "I love you Seri. I can't wait to see you."

"And I want to see you so much. I'm so glad I'm with Hyun-ki now, I know everything will be ok. I hope I haven't ruined your performance. That's the last thing I want."

"No, don't worry any more. You've had a horrible time." Now he felt better, he found he had the strength to reassure her, to make her feel better too.

"Now I know you're safe and you're on your way, I will be fine."