Ongoing Threat

After a few days, Seri was pleased to see that he was making progress. Jeong-hyeok was mentally very alert, although physically still weak and tired. It might take time, but he was recovering, and that was what mattered.

The FBI and a representative of the Korean NIS asked to meet with them both, and the Korean security agent gave them an update on what they knew about Kang Sung-ho. It seemed the attack had been intended to show the superior strength of one of the competing factions of the political elite in North Korea. Attacking a defector in the US would demonstrate their power. But its failure had drawn a lot of criticism, and Kang Sung-ho's status in the faction was being challenged. That was dangerous. Now, the intelligence services in both Korea and the States had an increasing concern that Kang might make another attempt on either Jeong-hyeok or on the family to recover his position. The FBI was worried about the security necessary to cover both the hospital and the hotel and argued it would be preferable for them all to be in one place. There were two options to consider: moving to a safe place somewhere in the States, or flying back to Korea and staying somewhere secure there.

"I don't feel it's safe for my wife and daughters to keep travelling to the hotel," said Jeong-hyeok. He took her hand and she could see the worry etched across his face.

"I think you are too exposed," he said. "I definitely want us to be together. If it's possible, I'd prefer us to return to Korea." The States had once seemed to be such a safe place for them, but the attack had changed that.

"Would you be well enough to fly? What do the doctors say?" Much as she liked the idea of going home, she didn't want to do anything to jeopardise his recovery.

"I'm sure I could."

"We'll make enquiries," the Korean agent said. "I'm sure we could arrange for medical staff to accompany you on the flight. We need to maintain secrecy on this though, so please do not contact anyone to let them know you might travel home soon. Remember what I said about the risks of messages being intercepted."

"Yes, it would be better to put out a statement suggesting Mr Ri will need to stay in hospital here for the time being," said the FBI agent.

"We'll only fly if it's safe to do so. My husband's health is the number one priority," said Seri.

Jeong-hyeok put his hand on hers.

"No, your safety must come first. If I'm to recover, I need to know you and the girls are safe."

She shook her head. "We must find a way to do both."

"Ok, leave it with us," said the Korean agent. "We'll get medical advice and plan around that." And they left the room.

"How are you feeling, anyway?" asked Seri when they were alone. "I know you always say you're fine, especially when the girls are here. But really, how are you doing? Do you have any concerns?"

"I truly am feeling much better. I just seem to get exhausted so quickly. But my coordination is much improved, though my left arm still seems very sluggish."

"I guess that arm will take the longest. But seriously, you must take good care of yourself. I'd rather move to some safe house in the States than risk a flight if the doctors don't agree."

"Alright, I'll do as I'm told!" he said with a slight smile. He held out his right arm to her and moved his left up a little as well to hug her. She held him in her arms, nestling her head against his.

"I was so scared at the thought of losing you," she said.

"Hush, honey, don't worry. It would take more than a poison knife to take me away from you. I'll always fight to stay by your side." He held her as best he could, still providing that steady reassurance he always offered her.