Protection

An NIS agent came over to the car and opened the door for them. Jeong-hyeok got out first and then helped Yeji; she still seemed rather shaky.

"Through here," the officer said, as he led them into the house. He closed and secured the front door behind them and pointed the way ahead. Jeong-hyeok kept his arm about Yeji as they walked into the sitting area, where Seri and Ka-youn sprang up and rushed over to them. As soon as she saw her mother, Yeji burst into tears, so Seri wrapped her arms about her and brought her to sit down on the sofa with her. Jeong-hyeok let her go and instead wrapped Ka-youn in a close hug. They were all together, and they were safe.

"Are you ok?" he asked. "Did anything happen to you on the way here?"

Ka-youn shook her head.

"No, we just had the warning, and they brought us here. What happened? Is Yeji alright?"

"Someone shot at me as I was getting out of the car. Yeji rushed back to me and they tried to shoot her too. She's in shock and needs some time and reassurance."

Ka-youn went to join Yeji and closely hugged her as well. She was calming down now. Seri looked up at Jeong-hyeok and he could see the worry in her face. He walked over and kissed her on the forehead.

"Thank goodness you're safe. Don't worry now, we're all together."

She gave him a weak smile.

"You stay here, with Yeji. Who's in charge? I'll talk to them."

She nodded. "Through there. It's Chief Lee."

"Thanks." He quickly gave Yeji and Ka-youn a kiss and left them.

He walked into the next room and found three NIS officers sitting round a table on a conference call. When they saw him, they stopped. One of them came over to him.

"I'm Chief Lee. Forgive me for not welcoming you when you arrived Sir, we were just in conference. Is your daughter alright?"

"She's still rather upset, but she's with her mother now. Can we discuss our situation please? I want to know everything about Kang Sung-ho, what he's doing, and how my family is to be protected."

The NIS officers looked at each other; it seemed his directness had surprised them.

"We have everything under control now, Sir," said Chief Lee. "If you wait with your family, I will be with you shortly."

"I'd rather be involved in the planning," and he took a seat at the table.

A voice from the video call he recognised spoke. "Good afternoon Ri Jeong-hyeok. My best wishes to your family."

He turned towards the screen. "Director Kim, good afternoon to you, too. Forgive my directness, but I'm impatient to know what's going on. I nearly lost my daughter earlier. I can't let that happen again."

"I understand. Chief Lee, perhaps you could bring Mr Ri up to date with what we know."

"Of course, Sir."

The NIS officers settled back round the table again.

"We tracked Kang Sung-ho to China, where he was protected by some of his criminal contacts. But he appears to have moved on. As yet, we don't know where."

"What about the shooter? Did you catch him?"

"No, we didn't, unfortunately, but we are doing our best to track him down. We have some leads."

Jeong-hyeok didn't like the thought of the shooter on the loose.

"So, we are still very much exposed."