Ripples in the Pool

The following morning they were eating breakfast, Seri and Ka-youn preparing to head into the office again, when the intercom for the security gate rang. Seri answered it and was surprised to hear Song Ji-hu's voice, their principal security advisor, and link to the NIS. He wanted to see them urgently. She buzzed him in, and when she turned back to Jeong-hyeok, she could see that he looked as unsettled as she felt. The carefree feelings of last night suddenly felt a world away.

"I'll call Yeji down," she said. "If there is any new security advice, she needs to hear it, too." She noticed Jeong-hyeok's frown of apprehension as he nodded and how he put his half eaten breakfast back on the side. Ka-youn met her eyes; she had picked up on his reaction, too. She went off to find Yeji, knowing Ka-youn would stay with him.

Ka-youn poured herself a coffee and another for her father.

"I hope this isn't going to be something to worry you, Appa. You've had more than enough to deal with already this year."

"We all have. Let's hope it's nothing much," he said.

Lim Sun-Hee met Agent Song at the door, and they all settled down in the sitting room. After all the difficulties of the past year, they couldn't help it; all of them felt rather apprehensive about what the news might be. The risk had seemed to be easing; had they been wrong to think that way?

"We thought it best that Ka-youn and Yeji hear your update too," said Jeong-hyeok. "After all, they are nearly adults now."

"What is it?" asked Seri. "Has something new happened?"

"Yes," said Song Ji-hu, looking solemn. "Kang Sung-ho has left the North. He's lost his position because of all the factional in-fighting, declared a criminal, and appears to have run for it."

This was unexpected.

"Where's he gone?" Jeong-hyeok wanted to know.

"We don't know for sure. Probably somewhere in China initially, but we don't think he will be able to stay there as it will cause difficulties with the Government."

"But what does it mean?" asked Seri. "Is it good news?"

"We're not sure yet," replied Song Ji-hu. "It could be. If he's not in power and on the run, then there is a limit to what he can do. But Senior Director Kim doesn't want to take any chances until we have more intelligence."

"I appreciate his concern and I agree it's best to be cautious," said Jeong-hyeok. "Will you be able to trace him, find out where he goes?"

"That's what we are attempting to do. He can't have many options. No responsible country would legally accept him."

"But illegally?" pressed Jeong-hyeok.

"That's just it," answered Song Ji-hu. "He will have a network of criminals he can contact, so he may be able to slip through borders. We have alerts out with other national security agencies. And the international arrest warrant is still out for his attack on you, too. I'm sure we will get updates before too long."

So there it was, Kang Sung-ho. Again.

Seri looked around at her family and Lim Sun-Hee as well. All of them were looking concerned at this new uncertainty, Jeong-hyeok especially. She felt a deep sense of uneasiness, as if she couldn't be sure of anything anymore. Anything to do with Kang Sung-ho was unsettling, and the fact that no-one knew where he was seemed especially disturbing.

"Well, I hope he gets arrested soon!" she said. "I shall feel a lot easier if he's in jail somewhere."

"Perhaps his enemies in the North will get him first! And serve him right!" Ka-youn sounded quite fierce.