Endgame

Down in the panic room, they could still hear gunshots and some further explosions, but it was very muffled, as if it was miles away. They stood together, taking time to calm and settle after the dramatic turn of events. Jeong-hyeok found his voice first. He kissed the top of Yeji's head.

"That was so dangerous what you did, sweetheart. But you saved us all."

"I couldn't bear something to happen to you Appa, because of me."

Her expression was so serious, so worried about him, and yet so determined, that her words choked him. He hugged her close, unable to find any more words. What had he done to deserve such a wonderful family?

Seri looked anxiously back at the door.

"Will it hold? Will we be safe?"

"It should," he said. "And if anyone tries to come in, I'll be ready. Maybe you should all move back over there, just in case."

He looked about. The injured NIS officer was just coming round, but murmuring, disorientated. Mrs Park was holding an ice-pack against her head where she had sustained the blow from the debris. She wouldn't be able to fire a gun yet. There was always the possibility that Kang had turned her, too. He would stay alert to that, but for now, there was no risk. He took up a position where he could monitor the stairs, as Seri and the girls moved to the other side of the room. They seemed to be safe for the moment, but what was happening outside?

"Mrs Park. Do you know how to use the communications equipment to contact Senior Director Kim?"

"Yes. Shall I do that?"

"Yes, and make sure you speak to him and no-one else. We don't know who else Kang might have turned or threatened. Tell him what's happened and that we are in the panic room. He needs to send backup." She nodded and went over to the communications unit.

As she flicked some switches, the monitors came on, showing what was happening outside, but it was difficult to tell for sure. One thing he could see was a small group firing at the panic room door, trying to open it, but it seemed to hold. He trusted the NIS knew what they were doing when they designed the room, otherwise there would be no escape for them. He decided he must keep Yeji and Ka-youn away from the screen. It was better to distract them, keep them occupied.

"Is there some water? Or better still, coffee? Yeji, perhaps you could see what's available."

"Yes, none of us had breakfast!" said Seri. "I'll see what food we have." She caught his eye, and he guessed she had picked up on his intention.

Yeji was looking a little frightened, but no-where near as terrified as she had been a few days ago when the shooter had attacked them. She headed over to the kitchenette, opening cupboards to find cups for the coffee machine. Ka-youn came to help the NIS agent to sit up a little. She was still woozy from the blow to the head.

"I've got Senior Director Kim!" Mrs Park called out from the comms centre. She quickly updated the Director on the events and Jeong-hyeok came to join her, still keeping an eye towards the door. He felt relief seeing the Director on the screen. This was someone he could trust, at least.

"I had a message from Chief Lee," said the Director. "Additional support is already on its way. I'll be there too soon. If you're all in the panic room, don't worry, no-one can reach you. Just be patient, but keep watchful and stay in touch."

"Don't worry about that!" he replied. "I'm not letting anyone in!"

The attack continued, but as far as Jeong-hyeok could tell from the monitors, it wasn't intensifying. Seri and Yeji made everyone coffee and although there was food, no-one seemed hungry. It was a strange experience. On the one hand, the muffled noise made the attack seem far away, but on the other, the weirdness of being confined in the underground rooms heightened their nervousness. It felt rather oppressive. It was adequately equipped, but spartan, and there was little to provide a distraction whilst they waited. Jeong-hyeok felt it would be very easy to lose track of time down here. He looked at his watch; they couldn't have been down here much more than an hour, but it felt longer. He maintained his vigil on the entrance.