Obituary

Jack had had nothing but holding messages from Park Hyun-ki. He'd written an eyewitness piece on the attack for the New York Times, which had received lots of attention. He knew there would be a big audience for the interview he had already completed, and if he could just do a follow-up with Jeong-hyeok, and perhaps Seri too, then it would achieve exposure worldwide. So he was delighted when at last Park Hyun-ki came back to him proposing an interview in Seoul. As far as he was concerned, he would go as soon as the travel could be arranged. On a personal level, he was also keen to meet Jeong-hyeok again. He was a complex man of great artistic talent, but also hidden depths. And he couldn't fail to be impressed by his actions in response to the attack.

A week later, he landed in Seoul. Park Hyun-ki had recommended him a hotel and given him directions. He had promised to phone when he had checked in to finalise arrangements for the next day. Once he was in his room, he dropped onto the bed and looked out the windows. He had a superb view over the vast Han river and the city, and in the early evening light it looked vibrant and exciting, people gathering on the riverbank as the sun set. 

While he was here, he wanted to explore a bit, as Seoul was an unknown city to him

While he was here, he wanted to explore a bit, as Seoul was an unknown city to him. But most of all, he wanted that interview. His fascination with the man had only grown, and he had tried to broaden his research to understand more about the politics and international relations of both North and South. The more he read, the more he was interested.

He hoped the interview wouldn't be a disappointment. Jeong-hyeok had been strict before on what he would and wouldn't talk about; he hoped he wouldn't refuse to discuss the attack. After all, that is what the public would be keen to hear more about. And he would like to find out more about Jeong-hyeok's approach to performing. One thing Jack loved about interviewing artists and musicians at their homes or studios was the opportunity to see them practicing their craft. Jack had read that Jeong-hyeok owned a Grotrian grand piano. Of all the world's best pianos, he thought he understood why a Grotrian would be the one Jeong-hyeok would pick. An instrument renowned for its expressive sound, particularly the tenor and bass. Wonderfully suited for a musician playing with such emotional depth. It would be very special if Jeong-hyeok could show him his music room and play.

He called Park Hyun-ki to let him know he'd arrived ok. They would meet for breakfast in the morning, before driving over to Jeong-hyeok's place together. This evening he would go for a walk, eat, and try to adjust to the time-shift.