Worlds Apart - 13

Kyouka walked away from Yaoyorozu's locker at a fast pace. Her mind was jumbled and all she could focus on was what she considered the revelation of a lifetime. She continued her way to her locker, turning the corner to the bathroom. The moment she laid in the privacy of the disgusting school restrooms in her own stall, she let herself break down.

Kyouka could only sigh as she heard the bell ring. After all, she had a free period to sort out all of her thoughts, and she wasn't sure if that's what she needed at that moment.

She sat on the toilet with the lid down. Her elbows were on her knees as she leaned down with her hands in her hair. She grasped at the strands, sending a tugging sensation to her scalp. The pain was nothing compared to the mess that her mind was. Things seemed disorganized as thoughts bombarded her, each thought pertaining to a layer of insecurity. She laughed at the irony of what happened several days before when she saw Yaoyorozu in the cafeteria and asked Kirishima who she was.

From the beginning, she knew Yaoyorozu was intimidating. She knew Yaoyorozu was superior to her, better than her. The feeling ate at her heart as she desperately tried not to get emotional. All the letters she sent scared her. Just to know each letter was sent to Yaoyorozu was chilling. In a smooth movement, she pulled out the folded letter from her pocket. She looked at the piece of paper with pained eyes. Without even a second thought, she crumpled up the piece of the paper, shoving it back into her pocket.

'Would you still want to send letters to me if you knew who I was?'

The thought rang loudly throughout Kyouka's ears and she absolutely hated it. She wasn't used to feeling this low or this insecure. Yet every comparison seemed like a prick to her heart. Yaoyorozu was someone who held herself tall and proudly. Kyouka was just some university student who played some instruments. She was in multiple honors classes, with close friends being the student council president and vice president. Kyouka was just in one honors class with one of her friends getting suspended because of his anger issues. No matter which way Kyouka looked at it, they were worlds apart. Both of them were a part of two different social groups with different ideas and opinions.

Kyouka was wrong. They wouldn't have been friends if they hadn't meant under the current circumstances. They were worlds apart, and sometimes worlds were never meant to align. The thought saddened her immensely. All she wanted to do was go back home and curl up in her bed, only to wake up and find out it was a dream.

-

With an opened locker, no letter fell out. There was no letter splayed across a textbook. The usual letter that she was used to seeing whenever she opened her locker was nowhere in sight. Her heart fell, as did her smile. The rush of excitement died down, and all it left Momo with was disappointment. She felt stupid at that moment. She felt stupid for feeling so much towards something so flimsy as a piece of paper. She expected to see a letter when she opened her locker that Friday morning since she never saw it that Thursday afternoon. Yet, there was nothing. She saw the same sight she did before any of the letters ever came into existence.

"Where are you, K?" Momo sighed against her locker. She held the locker door as she leaned forehead against it.

A shorter figure approached her and tapped her on the shoulder. "Hey, can I use my locker? You're kind of standing in front of it." At the sound of the voice, Momo blushed in embarrassment. She quickly closed her locker, locking it, before moving out of the way.

"I'm so sorry, feel free," she timidly apologized with a slight bow. The guy only nodded before going down on his knees to reach the locker beneath Momo's.

"You're usually never this distracted," Kendou suddenly said the moment she approached her. Her hand went to Momo's shoulder as she made eye contact with Momo's troubled onyx eyes. "What's up with you?"