Future Truths - 20

"What do you plan on doing after university?" Momo asked, lying back in her seat, the phone in her hand close to her ear.

Kyouka hummed, the sound of shuffling being heard as she turned over in her bed. "I plan on bunking in with Mina at her apartment. Then I'll get a part-time job and make some music on the side."

"That sounds like a nice plan," Momo mused. A beat of silence passed before she spoke again. "Mina has an apartment already?"

"Yeah," Kyouka offhandedly replied. "Her parents help her pay rent still, but she wanted to be more independent."

"I can't wait until I get a place of my own," Momo smiled despite Kyouka being unable to see her. "Though I'm worried about how I'll handle all the responsibilities."

Kyouka felt confident in Momo's skills and tried to ease her worries. "You can handle it," she earnestly spoke. "No matter if you're struggling, you'll find a way. That's how you are."

Momo made no noise in agreement. "Do you honestly believe that?" She asked in disbelief, a sad tone in her voice. "I've been practically living my whole life having everything be done for me by the workers." 

"That means nothing," Kyouka sighed. Her eyes widening as he processed how rude she sounded. "Well, it means something! It just doesn't mean you're not capable of doing anything!"

"Kyouka, be realistic." Momo said, staring at the ceiling as a layer of insecurity peaked through. "I literally have my own head maid. I don't exactly know how to cook the finest meals in life."

Kyouka could recall the letter like it didn't happen over a month ago. She recalled dancing over the subject of Momo's personal home life, as she didn't know what to say regarding that. So as she lay there on her bed, with tons of memories filled with Momo, she felt like she actually knew what to say this time.

"I'm sure your head maid doesn't organize your schoolwork or your fancy ass desk for you," Kyouka lightly chuckled, thinking back to how tidy and put-together Momo's room always was. "You're a lot more capable than you think you are, so give yourself some more credit."

A smile made its way to Momo's cheeks. "I'll probably end up embarrassing myself."

"Then you can call me up anytime in the future and I'll help you out." The insinuation that they were going to still be around each other in the future had butterflies rampaging around Momo's stomach.

"Careful, I may end up calling you a lot," she chuckled, hoping that Kyouka would call her a lot.

"I won't mind it," Kyouka replied in a heartbeat. "I look forward to your calls."

-

"If you're going to stare at Yaomomo, be less obvious," Sero sighed, looking at Kyouka with a look of disappointment.

Kyouka's head slammed down onto the table, the cool surface doing nothing to ease the pain she had just caused herself. Ever since she had written that long letter that went unsent two days ago, a part of her felt cautious and impatient. She wanted to approach Momo and talk to her, yet her nerves always seemed to get the best of her. It definitely didn't help that Momo always seemed to be calm around her whenever they had one of their moments, even if her cheeks would turn slightly pink at this. Nor did this help any insecurity or small doubt she had on Momo liking her.

"She's not sitting with her girlfriend-not-girlfriend today. Let her be gay," Mina replied, patting Kyouka on the head.

Kyouka could only mumble incoherent words in response to the girlfriend comment, the words being left unheard. She lifted her head up, her chin against the table as she watched people around the cafeteria talk and mess around. If her eyes latched onto Momo, she didn't think about it. Whilst her ears filtered in the conversation her friends were having.