𝒞𝒜𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐹𝒟𝓋𝑒: 𝒩𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒜𝑒𝓇𝓃 𝒫𝓇𝒟𝓈𝓂

"I'm so proud of you, sweetheart," her mom's voice rang out from the front seat. "This is the first step into adulthood, and I know you're going to kill it."

Madeline stared out her window, observing the passing cars and buildings, people walking on the sidewalks, dogs in the park only a block from their house.

"What's wrong, M&M?" her dad questioned knowingly.

But he didn't know. The truth was, Maddie loathed being called 'M&M'. It was Elijah who started that nickname for her. When her parents began using it, it felt sweet for a time. But then he left, and they kept on using it. It was like a violation of his legacy. One of the few things left behind of him for her to keep. She had a nickname, her memories, and a letter she'd read over a hundred times.

'Don't change who you are to make others happy, Maddie, because you are perfect, just as you are.'

'I wish I could have been there for your first day of freshman year. Tell you not to be scared, but not too excited, either.'

'If you haven't had your first boyfriend yet, let him know I will destroy anyone's life who tries to hurt you.'

'Make sure the friendships you create are genuine. Don't waste your time with fake people.'

So on, and so forth. Some of his advice was useless babble; Elijah just rambling on without ever seeming to reach a point. Other advice was worthwhile, which she'd held close to her heart to this day. All of it together had been rushed, saturated with sloppy penmanship, and all over the place. It let her recognize his decision to leave hadn't been planned out over the course of months, keeping her in the dark.

"Nothing," Madeline answered finally, knowing both her parents saw through her one-word answer.

Her mom unbuckled her seatbelt and shifted herself forward until her face was practically pressed against the windshield. "What the hell's that thing dangling from our mailbox?"

Madeline tried to get a closer look, but it was fluttering around too much in the light breeze to see it. As soon as the car was in park, she leapt out and ran back to the curb. Then she saw it. Clear as day, she saw it.

A prism of the North Star, producing a vibrant dance across her brown dress. Her glassy eyes could do nothing but stare at the piece of glass, swinging from string. As the seconds rolled by, her vision blurred, powerless to see the prism through her tears. Then, as if Melinda had no control over her own body, it collapsed beneath her against the grass.

"Maddie!" Her mother's voice cut through the blaring hum inside her brain. "Dear God. It can't be."

"What?" her dad asked.

It's why she could feel his presence around her throughout the ceremony. It hadn't been recollections engulfing her, and it hadn't been a ghost. It'd been him. Elijah had been there, close enough for her body and heart to react to him, even if he'd never entered her line of vision.

Her mom hunched and held out her hand. Not for Madeline to take, but to give her something. Another envelope, along with a navy blue satin box.

With her trembling hands, she accepted the box from her mother, opening to see the contents. A sterling silver necklace with a series of the North Stars.

"Where is he?" her dad asked, searching up and down both sides of the street. When he couldn't spot him, he went into the mailbox to see if anything else was left, only to slam the container shut, and looked around once again. 

If he'd been watching her, as he had only an hour ago, Madeline would have felt it. "He's gone." The words that should have shattered her into nothingness didn't have the intense agony she thought they would. "But he's alive, and he's okay. That's all I need to know."

It wasn't all Madeline needed to know, but maybe the letter would tell her more. Where'd he'd been the last nine years, if he thought of her as much as she did him, if there was a chance she'd ever see him again. More than anything, Madeline didn't just want to know if he was okay, she wanted to know if he found happiness, and a true home.