𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎-𝒮𝒾𝓍: 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝐹𝒾𝓃𝒶𝓁 𝒢𝑜𝑜𝒹𝒷𝓎𝑒

It was nightfall by the time Madeline made her way down the stairs again. She'd gotten about five hours of sleep and took a shower. It was the best she could muster up while her world crashed down around her.

"Where you going, kiddo?" Her dad asked when he noticed her sliding on her coat.

For obvious reasons, Madeline hadn't told her dad of her plans tonight, but told him about dropping off her box of letters to him early that morning. "I need to go for a drive and clear my thoughts. Maybe walk around downtown for some fresh air."

"Want me to go with you?"

Madeline shook her head, forcing a tired and disingenuous smile onto her face. "I need to be alone. But I should be back in about an hour. When I get back, we'll order some dinner." That she also likely wouldn't eat.

He gave her that knowing look of his, not actually knowing nearly as much as he thought he did. "See you in about an hour."

After she grabbed her purse, Madeline made her way to her car and drove to Elijah's. She could make the drive while paying little attention. It'd become second nature, and soon she'd have to learn not to make the drive.

This was the last time she'd use this key to get into his building, and slid it, as well as his apartment key, off her key chain. It wasn't nerve wracking knowing she was about to lose her virginity. It was knowing that her losing that virginity was completely overshadowed by the fact she'd likely never see Elijah again.

After spending seven years of her life being his shadow, twelve years of her life thinking of him and making wish after wish for his safety and happiness, she was now going to lose him two weeks to the day after getting him back.

She made it home from his dad's funeral two weeks ago. Two weeks ago, she'd found him asleep in her bed. Two weeks ago, she'd fallen asleep next to him for the first time, keeping the nightmares away. Now, Madeline would end up in a bed with him once more without being able to fall asleep next to him.

She'd no longer be able to keep his nightmares away, no longer wake up next to him, no longer be able to feel the warmth of his hugs. She was about to lose everything she'd never dare dreamed of having with him, and everything she'd dreamed of having back. The sound of his voice, his smile, his strength that now seemed so small.

But at the very least, she'd have this one piece of him. The memories of tonight prior to leaving this apartment would have to carry her through life indefinitely; knowing someone once loved her, even if it wasn't strong enough or could last.

Madeline hadn't even knocked on the door prior to its opening. Maybe he'd seen the shadow of her shoes beneath the door, standing there like a zombie.

"I wasn't sure if you'd even show up," Elijah confessed. His normally beautiful face seemed void of color, except for heavy bags beneath his eyes. "Are you sure you want to do this, Madeline?"

She was back to Madeline, as she'd been in the 'breakup: part two' letter. Only for this one night. "My heart's going to shatter into pieces that probably won't mend, but it's already two-thirds the way there, anyhow."

Elijah nodded absent-mindedly and opened the door further, allowing her entrance. She saw that while the walls hadn't been repaired, the mess he'd made before had been cleaned up.

"Give me a minute," Elijah told her before he disappeared down the hallway.

All Madeline could think about during that minute were the same thoughts she'd had early that morning. Elijah had always been her past, and his memory had carried her through her present as she grew up. By what felt like a genuine miracle, he was meant to be her future.