The Two of Us

Peter Parker sits on the subway early one morning, utterly alone. His skateboard is propped up at his feet, ensuring no one gets the bad idea to try and take it from him. He leans his head back against the wall of the car, staring unseeingly at the expanse of space around him. Peter has taken the subway to and from Midtown more times than he can count; after a while, even his twelve-year-old joy over riding the train alone wears off, leaving nothing but the boredom of a long ride.

So, Peter finds himself an empty spot on one of the long darkly-upholstered benches, and waits. He didn't get much sleep last night, after yet another span of hours dedicated to patrolling the city. If he trusted himself, he'd shut his eyes and try to get in a few minutes of sleep. Then again, this is New York, and Peter's spent enough time crawling its walls to know that there are plenty of crooks in this city who would love nothing more than to find their latest victim. He doesn't intend to be one of them.

This means that Peter sits listlessly, backpack at his feet, with nothing better to do than stare at the space a few feet in front of him. He's certain that he's going to be bored out of his mind, and then a girl gets in the car and sits on the row of benches opposite him. Peter's used to New York, used to not staring at the people on the subway, no matter how strange, but he thinks he's about to break his habit just this once: the girl is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

Peter does his best to remain nonchalant, but he can't seem to stop glancing back at her from the corner of his eyes. She's not paying attention to him at all, of course, casually reading a book while she waits for her stop to arrive, but Peter can't help but smile. Maybe this year might not be that bad after all.

You stare at the halls of the school around you. How is it that you managed to transfer to Midtown Science High School, well-known for its rigorous classes and ability to churn out year after year of graduating geniuses, yet you still can't find your first period class? The babble and chatter of nearby students surrounds you, making you feel like you're lost in a sea of people all going every direction at once while you're stuck in place.

Just when you're about to give up hope of ever finding your classroom, someone taps you on the shoulder. You whirl around to find yourself with a boy a little taller than yourself, with warm brown eyes and a kind smile that tells you he's one to trust. He gestures towards your class schedule. "Hey, I'm Peter. I think you're on my train, right?"

Peter's face falls a little as he says this, like he's mentally kicking himself. "I mean, I think so. There are a lot of people on the train. I think I've seen you before, though." You smile in spite of yourself. "No, you're right. I'm Y/N, by the way." Peter doesn't have to remind you about the subway for you to remember him- it's a little hard to miss a face like that. You'd been nervous about your first trip to a new school, and then you'd sat down opposite one of the cutest boys you've ever seen. He'd glanced at you coolly, then returned to whatever it was that he'd been doing before. It had taken all you had to keep reading your book instead of openly staring at him.

And now, on a whim, he's approached you. "Need help finding your classes? This school can be kind of a maze." You nod gratefully. "Please. Do you know where Mr. Fritz is?" Peter breaks out into a grin that dazzles you. "I most certainly do. Government, right?" You hurry to catch up to him as he starts walking. "Yeah, how'd you know?" Peter casually lifts a shoulder. "He's my first period, too. Looks like we have a class together."

Peter keeps walking as though this is nothing out of the ordinary, but you can't help a mad grin behind his back. You've already got a class with Peter. This could not get any better. Sure, you might be crushing a little hard for a first day, but who could blame you? He's cute, he's helpful, he's smart.. Maybe moving to a new city wasn't the worst decision you could have made after all.