Mysteries of the Mob

Peter Parker is used to mysteries. Hell, he's kind of one himself, what with the spider-senses and all that. However, he may have found a whole new kind of enigma, one he can't quite seem to fully understand. No matter how hard he tries to figure out just what is going on with Y/N L/N, he draws blanks. It makes no sense.

On the surface, nothing appears to be strange about her at all. She's just another student at Midtown, right? Just another student who showed up in the middle of the year despite the school's stringent transfer policies, just another student who hesitates slightly every time she gives her last name, who keeps making Peter think she's lying even over the simplest of subjects. Yes, there's no question about it - Y/N L/N is a complete and utter mystery, but Peter is determined to figure her out.

Some days, he wonders why he's so fixated by this, by her. In the end, Peter doesn't really know any more about her than his other peers. He isn't this obsessed with figuring out their backstories, so what is it about Y/N that makes him want to read every chapter in the book she keeps hidden away in her head?

If he tries hard enough, Peter can even convince himself that he's making a mountain out of a particularly insignificant molehill, that all of this is worth nothing for the apparent stress he's causing himself. Peter will shake his head, persuading himself to let the whole thing go. Y/N isn't a supervillain, she's just another student in his classes. Then Peter sits down next to her, lab partners once again, and she gives him that smile and says something that's just a little too practiced to be real.

It's been like this for about a month, ever since Y/N showed up at Midtown in the first place. Today, however, Peter's sworn that he's going to do something about it. So, when he arrives in chemistry, slinging down his worn backpack beneath his chair, he turns to the girl next to him instead of saying a vague hello and leaving it at that.

"Hey, Y/N. How are you doing on the enzymes project?" Y/N smiles back at him. "Pretty good, I think. I'm trying to focus on the medicine part, about how doctors use certain drugs to bind to the reaction sites of viral infections and the like. How about you?" Peter nods, impressed. "See, now I'm feeling a little less sure about myself. I'm, uh, studying the use of natural polymers in adhesives."

Y/N tilts her head slightly, curious. "Adhesives?" Peter fishes around for an explanation that doesn't involve an opportunity to use class time to develop his spider webbing. "Nothing much, just a way to support the weight of a person while they're, say, using it to climb or something like that." Y/N nods. "Oh, like rock climbing stuff? That's really cool, Peter." For some reason, Peter thinks that she might actually mean it.

So, he presses his advantage. "The only problem is that I can't seem to get any of the work done at my house. My aunt is always busy, and it's never quiet. Seeing as we're lab partners, do you want to work together on something like that? I know we have a report to write, and we could get together to do that and figure out graphs and stuff for the enzyme project."

Y/N's smile slips a little before she fixes it. "I'd love to do that, Peter. Where would you want to meet up?" Here's what confuses Peter about this whole thing: thanks to his enhanced abilities, he can get a vague hold on when someone is lying and when they're telling the truth. Take right now- Y/N wasn't lying when she said she wanted to meet up, but the second it sounded like Peter wanted to meet up somewhere that wasn't the school or his house, she panicked. What is she trying to hide?

Peter does his best to seem nonchalant. "I don't know, maybe a cafe or shop if they don't close soon. Unless your parents want you back at your house by a certain time?" If anything, Y/N seems even more worried about the thought of Peter interacting with her parents. "They're, uh, really strict. I don't think that would be a good idea." A half-truth: they might be strict, but not like that. Strange.