The Truth is a Matter of Circumstance

Peter Parker has only been awake for about an hour and a half before the city wrecks itself again. It's a Saturday, too, which makes this latest crime against the public and his patience that much more heinous. He only gets two days off from work and whatnot, can whatever garden variety criminals currently lurking somewhere down there in the streets of New York please keep their illicit affairs to a work week basis? Or at least give him a little longer to lounge around and pretend like he doesn't have a thousand things to do?

Peter covers his face with his hands, fights the urge to scream, and promptly loses that battle. His neighbors should be used to random shouts of anguish; he's been living here for a couple of years now, this is nothing new.

Peter forces himself up and into his suit, keeping the police broadcast on while he does so. As he pulls his mask, a new detail pops up on the ongoing situation, one that makes Peter's attitude change from irritated to actually concerned.

It's not a group of random crooks or thugs that's terrorizing a crowd of people several blocks away, it's one guy. One guy, who can throw cars with a wave of his hand. One guy, who's tearing down buildings like tissue paper. There's only one explanation for it, which is that Peter's latest target isn't human.

This is really not good. Peter can and will run headlong into any fight that comes his way, but the inhumans are a little more difficult. Usually, taking them down means Peter's going to get his ass kicked within an inch of his life and the property damage will be awful accordingly. This isn't going to be a one and done, half hour max encounter with some guy who's just down on his luck, this is going to be a full scale war.

Not great, to say the least. Well, whenever Peter's facing less than stellar odds, which ends up being more often than he'd really like, he knows what to do, what he does every single time. It's time to phone a friend.

More importantly, it's time to phone his boyfriend. Y/N L/N is also an inhuman with some seriously wicked powers, which definitely give Peter a leg up in whatever fight he finds himself in. However, his work may be cut out for him. Peter has hardly reached for his phone to text Y/N for help before he hears a knock on the door.

Heading over, Peter can't keep a smile from his face when he undoes the latch and sees Y/N waiting for him on the other side.

"How'd you know I was going to ask?" He questions, stepping aside to let Y/N into his apartment.

Y/N chuckles dramatically. "You couldn't live with your own failure. Where did that bring you? Back to me."

Peter frowns. "Is that a reference I should know?"

Y/N sighs, shaking his head solemnly. "Sorry, wrong reality. It would be really funny if you were there, though."

Peter can't hide a small smile of his own at that. "I'll do my best to fix that next time."

This isn't exactly an uncommon occurrence. See, Y/N's powers aren't something mundane like pyrokinesis or telepathy, he can change the very fabric of reality itself. Peter can't fathom what it would have been like to grow up as a child with the ability to reshape reality, but the learning curve must have been seriously steep.

Regardless, Y/N managed to get a hang of things, and now he's a great help on patrols and whatnot. They've been dating for a few months now, so Peter has come to appreciate Y/N's gifts more than ever. They work well together, both as normal people and as well-intentioned vigilantes. To Peter, that means more than he could ever put into words.

Y/N jerks his head towards Peter's police scanner, which is still faintly spitting out the latest reports on the ongoing inhuman situation. "What's got you so worried now? I could practically sense your unease from a mile away."