She's Fast and He's Weird

It is far too early in the morning for this kind of thing. It feels like you woke up scarcely an hour or so ago, and you're already out on the job. To be fair, you signed up for this kind of life when you first joined the Avengers, or even when you and your twin sister, Wanda, allowed Baron von Strucker to turn you into inhumans. That being said, even someone who moves as fast as you do sometimes wants to take it slow. Would a day off really be that bad?

Right now, you're staring down a burning building. Rumors of a HYDRA attack have been circulating for the past couple of weeks, but no one knew quite when they would strike. Turns out you have your answer- right now, when a key group of delegates was about to meet and make decisions on regulating civilian surveillance. HYDRA likes what they've got now, so they bombed the place to stop the talks. Now, you've got to save everyone in the building.

Steve Rogers is out front, yelling orders. You already know your task- go run in the riskiest places, get everyone out before things start collapsing. Seeing as you can run faster than anyone or anything, you get the toughest jobs. Hey- that's what you wanted, isn't it? You're Quicksilver, and that means you get to use your abilities as much as possible.

Besides, it's kind of fun to test yourself like this. How fast can you run before the whole world starts slipping away, and how many people can you save before you're forced to slow down? You have the intention of setting a few records today.

Wanda jogs up to you, hands outstretched as she starts to support the building using her magic. Scarlet sparks dance around her eyes and fingers, although her gaze is fixed firmly on you.

"Steve wants you to move in, now. He says there's a group of key representatives on the third floor, where the fires first started breaking out. You've got about ten seconds before their entire section blows."

You nod grimly, stretching your fingers out in front of you. "Don't worry about me. Ten seconds is practically a lifetime."

Wanda opens her mouth to comment on this, but she's already too late. You narrow your eyes, channeling your inhuman gifts, and the entire world slows down. Half a second becomes half an hour, and suddenly, you've got all the time in the world.

You head for the doors to the building, which have already been blown open from explosives and fleeing survivors alike. You pass Steve and Natasha, already on their way up. Tony's hanging in midair, the thrusters to his Iron Man suit on but motionless, as if he's a toy on a string. You take the stairs, as the elevators are basically still and silent compared to you.

You reach the third floor in the blink of an eye, speeding around corners and ducking pieces of debris midflight. If you turn your head, you can see a track of blue electricity trailing your every step. After returning your attention to the scene at hand, you notice a group of a dozen or so delegates all crowded into a corner of the room. They appear to be making their way towards an exit, but their faces are all twisted up in a mute horror as they stare at a large section of the ceiling which is about to come crashing down on top of them.

Without a second thought, you lunge towards them. The first three people are tossed out the window, where they float through the air. In the time it takes for gravity to realize that there's no more ground underneath their feet, you're grabbing two more people and tucking them underneath your arms before sprinting for the stairs again.

You run a little slower when you're lifting the weight of two delegates, but gravity doesn't have a hold on them yet either, so they're more like paper dolls delicately balanced against your hips. You do your best to stand them upright in a safe place far away from the building, across the parking lot, before turning around and heading back inside.

You repeat this process a few more times, snagging representatives and dragging them through the air until they're safe. Finally, you jump on top of chunks of falling concrete until you're several stories up outside the building, and you can finally retrieve the delegates you tossed outside. Their expressions are just starting to change into confusion over the sudden switch in setting, but you don't give them time to adapt, just take them back down with the rest.