Honour a Promise

Chapter 28

The gentle rocking of slow waters was the first thing she noticed before an earthy and sulfur-like smell roused her. A small figure, what could've only been a child's, sat beside her. Once their eyes met, the boy quickly reached out behind her. Another head appeared, and its features eased her mind. A warm hand held her cheek while soft words reached her ears.

"Don't worry. You are safe."

And soon, she found herself falling back into a dreamless sleep. But always, she was under watchful eyes. They witnessed as her skin and lips turned pale from the blood loss, her sweat dampening the sheets from the fever that shook her body from sunset to sunrise. The Lord of the house, Howland Reed, prayed to the Old Gods of the Forest but feared the worst. Her loyal knight stood vigilant day and night and would until she let out her last breath.

It would be another three days before her eyes opened. And another three weeks to have the strength to take her first steps. In Greywater Watch, she learned that Winterfell had fallen into the hands of a bastard along with the fate of the entire Northern Kingdom. The strong foundation of House Stark was showing cracks like ice beneath her feet, but Liya had been taught from a young age that panicking would only lead to more.

In the castle, Liya spoke to great lengths with Lord Howland Reed. It seemed that their life-long feud with House Frey was now more alive than ever. In him, Liya found a much-needed ally. She needed allies and Lord Reed will be the first.

Under the warm southern sun, Brienne stood next to Jaime in quiet conversation. They'd met and spoken like this before, but now they more than often were leading to nowhere. Brienne would fulfil her promise to the late Lady Stark, whose body now swam in the Trident. And if she had to drag the knight along, then so be it.

"Complication does not release you from a vow." She argued

"What do you want me to do, kidnap my sister-in-law and take her where? Where would she be safer than here in Kings Landing?" Jaime retorted

Brienne sighed to herself. Their return to Kings' Landing had already changed much within the knight. But there was one thing Brienne knew he couldn't put in the past.

"She still has a family, one that will protect her."

"What? That bastard Snow?"

"You know of whom I speak," She returned firmly.

"No, no one has heard anything," he retorted sharply, "they're dead. She's-." but Jaime seemed unable to finish his words.

He remembered the night clearly when his sister told him of what happened at The Red Wedding. With a sickening smile, she told him what had become of the Stark family, and his stomach had twisted painfully under the weight of guilt. Now Brienne's words only brought back what he so desperately tried to push away and forget.

It was her soft voice that brought him back to the present, "I have, Jaime. A letter came to me not long ago, it tells-."

"No," Jaime interjected angrily, "don't feed me some rumour."

"I do not lie, Jaime. I know this letter speaks the truth" Brienne spoke calmly and slowly took out the paper she'd hidden beneath her vest.

Jaime's eyes darted between hers and the letter in her hand in almost unbelief of its presence. He lifted his left hand slowly and took the paper from her. With some difficulty, Jaime opened it and let the weight of his golden hand hold it down on the balcony.

Brienne,

I hope this letter finds you in safer hands than mine. We've taken refuge under Lord Reed, who has offered the loyalty of his house to us. I'm sorry that only now I can write to you. All seemed so far from certain, and I didn't want to give you false hope.

Know that I'm alive, Brienne.

Jaime felt a weight fall from his shoulders at the written words. The guilt that had been eating at him for days had finally disappeared. Eagerly he read on.

And it has given me a chance to avenge my family. For I plan and will do so.

Jaime swallowed at her words but wouldn't blame her thoughts. He knew he would've done the same, for what his family had done was cruel.

I ask you to honour your promise to my mother and bring my sisters back to me. Don't let them know I'm alive. If anyone were to find out they knew and brand them a traitor, I could never forgive myself.

Lastly, I ask you for a favour. I do not know if you can, but please tell that idiot of a man he better honour his words too. Even better, let him read this. Perhaps it will inspire him to do the right thing.

But know Jaime

He was startled as she was now speaking directly to him, and he held his heart for the onslaught of words to come.

I will never, I swear to it to the old Gods and new, I will never forgive you for what has happened that night. For there is nothing to forgive, I know you couldn't nor ever would've taken part in it. And know that I'll forever be in your favour if you honour your promise to my mother.

Liya Stark.

"Are you with me now?" Brienne asked Jaime. He couldn't speak, but his eyes showed her how deep the words had hit him.