The Garden

A/n: 600 views and over forty votes, wow. I managed to squeeze this one in (even though I have my first big test on Tuesday *scolds herself*). So it's not as long, but next week we're gonna have some Jaime and Liya time.....so enjoy *magically disappears*

Chapter eight

~ The Garden~

They walked down a gravel path that seemed to go on forever and ever, but Liya couldn't be happier about that. Her head was turning around to take everything in, the different types of trees, the spluttering fountains and small statues, the sound of birds chirping, but it were the flowers that captivated her the most. In Winterfell, there were hardly any flowers like the ones that surrounded her, so colorful and bright. Only in the summer, Liya could find a few flowers in the woods, but they only bloomed for a few weeks, the harsh weather of the North their downfall.

"Dear?"

Liya jumped out of her memory and turned her head. King Robert was staring at her with a questioning gaze.

"I'm sorry your grace, my mind was elsewhere" she apologized

The king only chuckled at her "don't fret my dear"

Liya gave a small smile back, but only now she noticed that another man had joined them. Liya guessed the man was her senior, though only by a few years. His face was tanned and had handsome features. His eyes almost black and slightly hooded, the slight stubble with a deep cleft in his chin and his straight jaw only added to his masculinity. The dark brown locks of his hair flowed down and ended with a slight curl just where his shoulders met his neck. Liya could see him fidgeting ever so often, though he did a good job at hiding it behind his back.

"Dear Liya, this is Ser Adian Feller, he's been knighted only for a few months but shows promising skill, " King Robert said, only now Liya saw that this Adian was adorned in armor with a sword resting at his side on which his right hand rested on the pommel.

Adian gave a small bow towards her "Lady Liya" giving her a smile

"Ser Adian" and gave a bow in return

The king looked at her again "This chap here" he said and patted the shoulder of Adian "is to be your personal guard, once I've Ned's permission"

"But we already have Jory, he's a fine guard and has proven himself many times as father's captain of the household guards," Liya said not really eager to the idea that a stranger would be beside her at all times. Ser Adian looked a little saddened by her reaction, most likely taking her reaction in as if she found him not adequate for the job

"Ah that he's, but he can't be with both Ned, you and your sisters all at the same time," The king said

Liya realized that the king spoke of truth. Jory couldn't be with them at all times, perhaps acquiring a guard wouldn't be a bad decision "That's true" Liya said "I'll take your offer your grace once my father agrees"

"Good, I care for your safety dear Liya," The king said, though in his eyes Liya saw that he was seeing another woman in her place, a woman that was a ghost of his past

"Thank you, your grace"

The king nodded to her with a small smile and left saying he would address this matter to her father right away, leaving Ser Adian and Liya alone in the garden. If her father agreed, which was most likely, he was to follow her every step and Liya wasn't quite sure how she felt about that, her moments of privacy where very dear to her.

"Looks like we'll be spending a lot of time together," Ser Adian said with a slight laugh

"So it seems," Lady Liya said not as joyful as the knight

Around the corner, another knight had heard their voices and decided to listen in. Jaime didn't know why particularly Ser Adian would be "spending time" with the Lady. Her father wouldn't have proposed her a marriage to some unknown knight, would he? 

"Only once we have your father's blessing of course" The knight quickly said apparently noticing the slight discomfort in Lady Liya's voice

The words arose a strange kind of panic within Jaime, why he didn't know. Pressing down the urge to make his presence know, Jaime continued to listen

"Of course, I'm confident that we'll grow more accustomed to one another in the future"

"That means a lot, my lady" 

Liya laughed "Oh please, call me by my name. I don't think formalities are needed anymore"

"I'll try, but I must leave you for now"

They gave a quick bow to each other, Liya remained in her spot as Ser Adian walked away and eventually disappeared within the greenery. The two of them would surely meet again once her father had made his decision. Liya was still in doubt of this stranger knight that she would be trusting her life with once her father had agreed, but she knew her safety would be of great importance here. Liya settled on that and made her way back to the garden entrance. The last rays of the sun gave the sky a pink hue and Liya could at least agree that the sunsets here in the South, compared to the ones in the North, were quite a sight to behold. 

Around the corner, Ser Jaime's panic had turned into confusion and anger, why would that girl settle so easily for a man like that? Despite the fact that he hadn't known her for long, the lady truly had left an impression on him, she was a cofident lady with a iron will. Whether the union was by her will, her father's or anyone's. That knight would not marry her, he would- 

Jaime stopped mid-thought, why was he concerning himself with the likes of others? The only people he cared about was his own family and she posed no threat in marrying a knight of no name. He raked a hand through his hair, he needed to find his sister. She could take his mind off of her. 

----------------------------------------------------------

As always, thank you for reading,

Love,

Ann 

A/n: What's this? A new character appeared! An original one, so for those out there Adian Feller is MINE (I wish Ben Barnes was too...)