No Tears

Chapter Twenty-five

No Tears

The cold of the early morning still hung in the air as Liya fastened the saddle on her given horse, attached to it a small bag with inside provisions for the road. The three men that eyed her from the side were her assigned escorts by Lord Reese Bolton, tasked with bringing her back to her brother. Word had come through that the King of the North was heading towards The Twins, her questions as to why remained unanswered.

It seemed like many things had changed ever since she'd fled her brother's camp, though from the expression on their face's Liya judged it wasn't in their favour. It made her all the more nervous about how her brother would react to her return, Liya hoped he would understand the reasoning behind her actions and give her mercy. Her brother kept their family words close to his heart and so could never give her the sentence deemed fit for a traitor, but that was before he was titled King of the North.

Across the courtyard, the sound of a neighing horse caught her attention. There, Jaime was struggling to get up on his horse, swatting away every man that tried to help him like they were flies hovering over his food. Liya wouldn't be surprised when one would actually get hurt. She could now chuckle at the stubborn pride that was his ever-present companion, he would rather fall down in the mud than let someone assist him.

She fastened the clips of her winter coat and saddled upon her horse. Liya told her escorts that she was ready to leave, though first would like to wish her goodbyes. The three only grumbled in return and started to make their way towards the gate. Brienne to stay inside, so Liya had said her farewell earlier after breaking their fast. It was simple and sweet as both women had come to respect each other greatly through their shared experience. Now Liya guided her horse to the finally settled knight.

"Maybe they should make you one of those stools that our late King Robert had," She said pestering him one last time.

"I'm not fat." he returned.

Liya gave a small laugh that curled Jaime's lips upwards. Though seeing her genuine smile made him feel slightly saddened for the future. Kings Landing only offered him smiles that hid the truth.

"I guess this is goodbye then," she said, her words soft. Jaime eyed the woman before him. He could now admit to himself that he'd never met a woman like her. In the capital, they all looked and wanted the same thing. She was just different in every way.

"I guess it is."

It would probably be a long time before they would ever see each other again. Liya only hoped that her faith in the knight would be just, she'd placed a great amount of trust in him to get her sisters back.

With a slight smile on her lips, she gave him a small bow with her head and guided her horse towards the gate settling the beast into a gallop. Liya was soon followed by the Bolton men and together they carried off into the distance.

A few days into the ride the four of them arrived at a cross-road where the river split into the Green, Blue and Red Fork. They crossed the river to continue their journey along the Green Fork that headed straight for The Twins, where her family would be waiting.

On the third day, they came across three riders with silver wolves adorned on their banners. Liya quickly left her saddle as she recognized one of the riders. He was grinning slightly at her while following her movements and met her halfway.

"Adian," she said giving him a firm hug, "I'm glad to see you."

"Likewise," He said returning her hug. The deep brown eyes looked the same as ever, but the grown out facial hair into a soft-looking beard gave him a more mature look.

"How is my brother?"

"He is well and is eager to see you again," Adian said

"Really, I thought that he would probably hate me for what I did."

"He did for a while, but you know, family always come first as the Tully say" Adian smiled at her.The thoughts of the events that happened since Liya had disappeared into that forest gnawed at his mind. King Robb had asked him and the others not to inform her of anything, saying that after the wedding, he would. To let their reunion be a happy one, matters concerning the kingdom could wait for a little.

Her brother had sent Adian and his two companions to escort her further back to The Twins. The men that had accompanied Liya until now eagerly left, probably quite done with the task of 'babysitting' the Northern girl. Liya didn't mind, she'd rather have Adian and her brother's men than the ones Lord Bolton had sent with her.

The four continued the path along the river, arriving at The Twins just short of three weeks and Adian informed Liya that the planned wedding would be tonight. Liya quickly left Adian and the other men to find her family while they put the horses away. Her legs begged for her to slow down, the days riding had strained her muscles, but her will to see their familiar faces again was much stronger.

Two guards opened the main hall and Liya was met with the entire Frey family as it would seem. The old man himself was sitting on a large chair in the middle, surrounded by his children and grandchildren. Liya quickly gave a respectful bow towards Lord Frey before speaking but was interrupted before even one sound had left her lips.

"Spare me your words, girl," Walder slightly snarled, apparently not in a good mood "they're in their room upstairs", the man quickly pointed to one of his children to guide her.

"Thank you, Lord Frey." again bowing to him before leaving the hall, following the footsteps of one of Fray's daughters.

Now standing before the door she started to feel nervous. Behind these doors, her brother and mother would be waiting for her. Had her brother truly been able to forgive her, and what about her mother? Going against her troubling thoughts, she opened the door quietly.

Heads turned towards the door as she entered the room. A gasp was heard coming from the back of the room.

"Liya!" a familiar voice sounded, a head covered with a mop of long red hair appeared behind the men.

Liya took the hood of her winter coat smiling brightly at the person. "Mother." and the two met in the middle holding each other dearly, tears starting to form in both their eyes.

Her mother held Liya's head close to her as if she was a newborn baby. Liya felt a new hand on her shoulder and turned her face upwards. There she met the gentle face of her brother. Catelyn released her grip on her daughter and turned her into the arms of her eldest son.

Robb exhaled a heavy breath before encircling his arms tightly around his sister. His mind clearly remembered the day that she'd disappeared from the camp. At that time, he had feared the worst.

"I was so worried. We were all so worried" Robb had been mad at their betrayals and recklessness that day, but bringing his family back together was the thing that mattered the most to him right now.

"But what matters is that you're here," the smile reassured her, easing the thoughts in her head.Her uncle Edmure stepped forward, "I will have no sad tears on my wedding day," carrying an uplifting grin.

Liya smiled at him quickly while wiping away a few stray tears.

While the Fray's sharpened their knives.

As always,

Thank you for reading,

Love,

Ann