The Escape

a/n: we're already over 2.5K and almost 120 votes aaaaahhh  \(^u^)/  *does a happy dance*. Probably already since Wednesday, usually I update another chapter then, but I've been quite busy with college so.....here you go 

Chapter thirteen

~ The Escape ~

Liya looked at her father from her seat beside his bed. Droplets of sweat covered his face, the fever making his skin burning hot. Again she reached for the bowl of water and dipped the white cloth in the cool water, after wringing it out she dapped her father's head hoping she could ease him with the coolness. Ned's breath remained heavy but a few lines on his face smoothed out once the cool cloth touched skin. Her father's wounded knee was tightly covered with cloth but already some spots of dark started to appear. His gentle eyes closed and Liya prayed that he would open them soon, but it didn't look good.

After her father was carried out of the small square, he'd been pulled away from her immediately and brought to the measter. Liya was pushed outside, not allowed to enter until told. For her, it seemed like hours had passed before the door was opened, the measter, at last, informing her that she could see her father. 

And Ned had remained the same since that very moment, asleep and fighting the fever. Liya was determined to stay with him until he would wake up, ignoring her fathers wish for her to leave Kings Landing immediately. But without knowing that he would recover, Liya was not certain that her sisters remained protected within these walls. 

When the sun was out she sat vigilantly at her father's side, and there she'd time to think. Staying in this damned city would only bring more harm to her family, Liya and her father knew. Her father, the former Hand of the King, wounded for a crime he didn't commit. Her sweet sister Sansa, bound to the South and its own crown prince. Liya would not let Arya or herself be next, they needed to escape the reaching claws of the Lannisters. And if it was one thing the Starks would fight for or die trying, it was family. 

In the coming days she, together with Adian, devised and prepared their "early departure". With pain in her heart, Liya knew that she would have to leave her father and Sansa. Therefore Liya had asked Adian to stay. He objected heavily, he'd vowed to protect her with his life after all, what good was he to her by staying. Liya saw his reasoning, but he truly was the only one in the capital she could trust. And by protecting her family, he protected her. In the end, they agreed that he would at least see her cross the border to the North.

On the fourth day of planning, her father, thank the gods, opened his eyes. Liya jumped slightly at the sound of the door opening, turning around she saw Adian closing the door behind him. Still coming to terms with their agreement, but with a decisive look on his face.

"The horses are ready Liya," Adian said to her, giving a glance towards Ned Stark. He'd been quite made seeing Liya's face, but proud that she'd taken on her duty as a true Stark. Ned advised her against taking Arya, two Starks disappearing would draw too much attention. Should she go alone, Ned could make others believe the story of a rebellious daughter refusing to marry. Something that wasn't out of character at all, a fact that amused them all. 

But her heart hurt every time she thought about distancing herself from her family, leaving them behind in the lion's den. Ned argued that he would figure something out for himself and her sisters. She prayed that he would, her family was everything to her. But Ned was the one who truly understood her, not her mother, not her sister or brothers, he always knew just the right things to say. 

Ever since the King had arrived in Winterfell, like a bad omen, the possibility of a world without family seemed to become likelier every day.