Wolfs Blood

Chapter five

~Wolfs Blood ~

A glum feeling had settled down within the walls of Winterfell ever since this morning. It was more quiet and gray than Liya had ever truly witnessed. She sat beside the bed opposite to her mother, her eyes red and cheeks wet from crying. Her fingers almost mindlessly encircled another piece of rope around the prayer wheel hanging above the bed. Bran looked just as if he was asleep, eyes gently closed and his chest falling and rising with every breath. But only the gods would decide if they should ever let him wake up. Liya stroked the soft dark brown locks that framed his face. She would have to leave soon, together with her father as they had decided this morning. He'd talked around it, but Liya quickly figured out that her father thought that perhaps in the South a more suitable marriage could be arranged for her. A union between the North and the South. Though the fact of leaving her home and everyone she knew behind, especially Bran in a state like this, made her feel miserable. Liya spoke a few last words to Bran before standing up again to say goodbye to her mother.

"I'll pray to The Mother for you and Bran, every night until I'll hear of what the gods have decided"

"Thank you my sweet Liya" Catelyn said with silent sobs still escaping through her lips

After a long embrace with her mother, she left the room in search of Jon. She'd known for quite a while that he wanted to take the black, just as uncle Benjen. Liya first had thought that Jon only wanted to follow in Benjens footsteps as he admired him so much. But he told her that his wish for a life without being constantly reminded that he a Snow amongst the Starks was even greater, even if it meant for him to join the Night's Watch. The fact that he decided to leave now, as she and others would be leaving for Kings Landing, made it look like her family was slowly separating. Like threads on a carpet, slowly fraying at the edges until it would fall apart. Liya would be with her father and sisters in the South, but that would also soon know its ending once she would be married, which was only a matter of time. Liya pushed these unsettling thoughts away once she saw Jon standing with the blacksmith.

"A gift?" Liya asked as she eyed the sword that was small and slim, definitely not a sword for The Wall

Jon looked up "Aye, for Arya" and he twisted the sword in his hands inspecting the craftsmanship

"It suits her" Liya said smiling

"I'll give it to her just before I go"

The words harshly reminded Liya that Jon would be leaving for good. The chance of seeing him again would be slim to none. Jon handed back the sword to the blacksmith and asked him to polish it once more before he would put it in its scabbard.

"Oh Jon" Liya threw her arms around his neck gripping his cloak tightly and started to cry silent tears

She felt Jon stiffen slightly in surprise but soon returned her hug and softly rubbed her back. The two of them just held each other not really wanting to let go of one another. They knew that once they did it would most likely be the last time.

"Gods I'll miss you so much Jon," she said tucking her head deeper into the furs of his cloak

"I know, I'll miss you Liya," Jon said with a very slight crack in his voice

Slowly but reluctantly she released her hold on Jon and he on her. Jon wiped the few stray tears on her cheeks away and smiled at her. Liya could only return it slightly.

"We'll meet again, I know it," Jon said firmly

"I'll pray we will"

"Go on Liya, say your goodbyes" and Jon let his arms fall and reached beside him to take Arya's gift from the blacksmith who'd just returned with the sword.

Liya left, telling him goodbye once more before saying the same to a few friends who were standing not far away. Jon eyed the sword that he had specially made for Arya. A lightweight blade, slim and small in shape. It wasn't enough to chop a head off, but it could wound.

"A sword for the wall?" a voice behind him asked

Jon turned quickly and saw that it was Ser Jaime Lannister that had spoken to him. "I already have one," Jon said eyeing the sword on his left side that was hanging on a belt that encircled his waist

"Good man, have you swung it yet?" the knight asked

"Of course I've," Jon said to him a little confused why he'd asked such a question since he already knew that the sword on his hip was his

"At someone I mean," Jaime Lannister said with a slight grin

As Jon remained silent the knight continued "it's a strange thing the first time you cut a man" he said walking closer to him "you realize we're nothing but sacks of meat and blood and some bone to keep it all standing"

Jon was feeling slightly intimidated and uncomfortable considering how close the knight was standing and looking at him as if he was superior. Absentmindedly Jon slightly leaned back.

"Let me thank you ahead of time," the knight said holding out his hand, Jon was surprised by this action, but knew better than to immediately appreciate this gesture from him.

"Guarding us all from the perils behind the Wall. Wildlings and White Walkers and what not" Ser Jaime said taking a firm hold of Jon's hand

And the knight continued "we're grateful to have good, strong man like you protecting us" he said and patted his shoulder, released Jon's hand and walked off

Jon could only look at his retreating back, baffled at his strange words which were anything but sincere. He wanted to retort back but didn't seem to be able to form words. Though another person had heard the mocking words from the knight.

Liya fumed and briskly walked to catch up with the man who'd spoken so mockingly towards her brother, determent to confront him on that matter. Ser Jaime headed towards the stables and Liya took a shorter route. Once in the stable, she stood with her head up, hands folded behind her back and a stern look on her face waiting for the knight to arrive.

He'd had it with this place and the whole ordeal with the boy, who unfortunately survived the fall, only made him hate the place even more. Though when he entered the stall to ready his horse a figure made him stall. There stood the woman he'd indirectly called beautiful the night before, but some different side of her had taken over. His eyes widened slightly, the softness in her eyes was now replaced by a raging snowstorm. Gentle features were now set like ice, holding anything but kindness to him.

"I've heard your talk with my brother Ser Jaime" her voice low and unwavering

Jaime was still a little astonished by her twist of character, but he quickly recovered "it's rude to eavesdrop Lady Liya" he said with a little smirk

Liya practically ignored his comment "I'm just warning you Ser Jaime, you might not like me as much the second time I find you harming my family" Liya said with a cold voice

"I admire your protectiveness Lady Liya, but I don't see the real threat here," a slight laugh escaped his lips, though a little nervous for maybe she'd somehow seen of what he'd done to her younger brother. 

Liya walked up to him just as he'd done with that bastard boy Jon Snow

She tilted her head up to him piercing her eyes into his "maybe not now, but that's exactly what I want" Liya said with a small smile which confused Jaime

"Because Ser Jaime, you of all people should know that the ideal battle circumstance is when your opponent doesn't know what it's up against"

With those words Lady Liya walked away from him, leaving him alone in the stables. Though her words held no real threat now, he knew that once in Kings Landing it could change and the look in her eyes told him that she was determent to make it that way. Jaime had been misled by Lady Liya's innocence and fairness, he'd forgotten that she wasn't just any woman. Liya was a Stark and wolf's blood ran through her veins, she could be as fierce as the lion he was. 

Wattpad is pissing me off again not 'really' saving my changes, but whatever,

As always thank you for reading,

Love,

Ann