Chapter Fifteen

"Hex" I say quietly, my voice wary as we watch them enter the car but fail to start the ignition.

"Keep walking" Hex ushers me to the car, his eyes never leaving the two men. "Get in" He leaves my side when I'm safely in the car with the door closed and only then does he rush around to the drivers seat.

Hex closes the drivers door and locks it instantly, the silence making the lock sound much louder then usual as we sit quietly and watch the car from a distance.

I can feel my heart beating in my ears as the blood flows through my veins. The sound of quiet panting can be heard from Hex and I don't know if it's from panic or anger.

Hex grunts before punching the wheel, I jump at the sound but don't tear my eyes away from the car. Surprisingly the horn doesn't go off.

Hex turns the key and starts the engine but doesn't turn the headlights on until we're around the corner of Darby's and out of sight. I can feel the panic in my chest, surely this isn't a coincidence, right?

"Hex" I repeat as I lift a hand to my chest, feeling my heart pounding. The panic is obvious in my voice but Hex keeps his eyes directed at the road.

"I know, I know" he murmurs before punching the wheel again "fuck!" I turn in my seat, looking out the back window but don't see anyone following us, it eliminates some of my fear.

Hex's palm slides over and lands on my thigh, gripping it almost like a stress ball. It stays there for the rest of the ride as we sit in silence. I see Hex look in the mirrors multiple times as he checks if anyone is behind us, I do the same. I don't know if it's much use though if they already know where we live.

Hex is quick to usher me inside after a quick glance around the apartment car park. Once the front door is closed and locked the tension between us minimises and I release a silent breath of relief.

We go about our daily routine with little to no words between us. Hex had closed all the curtains as soon as we had got home but I had caught him peeking outside multiple times when he had thought I wasn't looking. Teddy had been fed and Hex and I had eaten dinner. I know we have to talk about the men but for the time being I want to sit in peace and pretend nothing is going on and I think Hex is on the same page.

I wake in the night, unexpectedly. My mind is fuzzy and and groggy, unsure what had woken me. I sit up straight as panic hits me, what had woken me?

I note that I can't feel Hex beside me and it calms my racing heart, that's what must have awoken me. I slip out of bed, the cold air making goosebumps rise on my skin as soon as the blanket comes off as I'm only dressed in Hex's shirt and underwear.

My feet tap silently along the dark hallway before I walk into the lounge room. I rub my hands up and down my arms as I look around the dark room for Hex. I spot him sitting on the coffee table while gazing out the window. He's shirtless and the moonlight is shining in through the window and onto his skin. It has to be sometime in the early morning hours. How long had he been out here?

I tip toe quietly up behind him before wrapping up arms around his neck, letting my palms scratch down his chest from over his shoulders. It becomes obvious that he knew I was there the entire time when he doesn't jump.

"What are you doing?" I whisper, filling the quiet silence as I nuzzle my cheek into the top of his head.

"Can't sleep" he grumbles as he grabs my hands and presses a kiss to each of my wrists.

"You're cold" I say as my hands feel his naked skin. He doesn't answer me but instead pulls me around by my wrists and makes me sit on his lap, straddling him.