Chapter TwentySix

I'm hyper aware that everything we say is being recorded and everything we do is being taped. I can feel them watching us as the cameras turn in our direction. Is this how it felt to be an inmate?

Hex sits in his bloody pants and shirt; they hadn't even allowed him to clean up as his skin still has blood splatters painting it.

I stand back and watch Charlie take control of the situation as he takes a seat across from Hex. His stride is confident and once again he's emotionless as he does his job.

"Why are you here, Charlie?" Hex asks. His voice is quiet but it echos is the quiet room, sounding flat with emotion. Hex had told me to contact Charlie but I seriously doubt he thought Charlie would actually show up, especially at this time of night.

"Because you got yourself into a situation" Charlie says as he lifts his nose in a snobby way as he looks at Hex through his glasses. There's a slam that makes me jump when he drops his briefcase on the table. Hex doesn't even flinch. "And my name is Charles".

I stand back as I watch the interaction between the two men. Charlie talks a mile a minute as he explains everything he had explained to me but in deep detail, Hex seems to understand it and I guess it's because he'd had it explained to him before he was released from Hellbound.

Hex doesn't have much to say as he nods along and listens intently to the important information. There's still questions that need to be answered though. Will he be able to come home with me tonight? Or will he have to stay here until his preliminary hearing?

"Any questions?" Charlie asks as he clips his briefcase closed and lays his hands on it as he looks at Hex. Hex shakes his head no. "Alright, I would say don't do anything stupid, but you already have" Charlie stands up and leaves the room, letting the door slam behind him.

I shift my legs and watch as Hex tenses when his attention is drawn back to me. I can't feel his emotions and I don't know why. Are his feelings not strong enough? Is he feeling anything?

I swallow deeply to clear my dry mouth. My arms are wrapped around my waist for comfort.

"Hex?" I call softly. He doesn't move and my stomach sinks. Does he think I liked Jacob kissing me? My eyes well with tears but I look at the ceiling, hoping to keep them at bay. "I-I didn't want to kiss Jac-"

"Don't say his fucking name" Hex growls out and I watch as his forearms clench when he makes fists with his hands that rest on the table in front of him. I choke on the sob that crawls up my throat but manage to keep the tears withheld.

I stay where I am, unsure if he wants me any closer. I can feel the anger rolling off of him in waves and I hope he doesn't explode in here with all the cameras on us. I look behind me at the door, wondering if I should leave and allow him time to calm down.

"Come here" Hex demands, bringing my attention back to him. I hesitantly take a step in his direction and look over his shoulder as he continues looking down at the table.

He makes no sound or movement towards me so I take a seat on the chair Charlie had occupied. The sound of scraping from the legs of the chair along the floor is the only sound that can be heard within the room.

"I didn't want to kiss him, Hex" I state when he draws his soulless eyes up to mine. The tortured look in them is enough for my tears to come back and when he sees them I see him crack the tiniest bit.

"I know you didn't" my shoulders sag in relief.

He continues looking at me, I don't know what he's looking for but it's making me uneasy. I sit on my hands to stop obsessively picking at my nail beds.