Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Gang Fight

I have recently arrived at the airport and have already reached my parental abode

I have recently arrived at the airport and have already reached my parental abode. After residing in Japan for three years, I find myself back in the Philippines, wherein lies numerous excruciating memories. Though I did not wish to return, my parents coerced me by threatening to take my babies should I fail to comply. Hence, I had no recourse than to return. My homecoming was only made privy to my parents, and I did not disclose the same even to my acquaintances back in Japan. Nevertheless, I am aware that they will eventually uncover the news of my absence.

I am cognizant of the fact that my pals will be visiting here soon, though I am unsure of when. As I glanced at my phone, I realized it was already six o’clock in the evening and my appetite had surfaced. Consequently, I rose from my seat, exited the room, and headed towards the kitchen. As I scouted for a servant, I happened upon none and was left with no other alternative but to proceed to the mall. My parents had instructed the maid to take the day off, thereby accounting for her absence.

I departed from my residence and proceeded to the parking area to enter my vehicle, subsequently driving to my destination. Upon arriving at the mall, I parked my car and disembarked.

Before delving further, allow me to introduce myself; my name is Katerina Jade Takashi Coolidge, aged 18, half-Japanese and half-Filipino. I am commonly referred to as ‘Kaia’ by my friends and family. While indulging in my meal consisting of a burger, pizza, and juice, I observed several men casting their gaze upon me, thus resulting in a disdainful glare from their respective partners. Nonetheless, I met their vexation with amusement whenever their significant others redirected their attention.

Concluding my meal, I exited the mall and traversed towards the parking area. During my stroll, I overheard the commotion and subsequently retreated to a concealed area to conceal myself from view. It appeared that countless men were on the cusp of confronting each other, evidently in the act of a gang fight.

Addressing one of the males present, I recall hearing, “What are you doing here, Mike?”

“Stop prying into my personal matters, Alex.” I was taken aback when I witnessed one of Mike’s colleagues brandishing a sharp object. Although the other individual appeared to take notice of the situation, he was propped up against a car beside my Maserati Ghibli Trofeo, barring me from approaching my cherished possession. Subsequently, the individual wielding the dagger made a beeline for Alex, who was unable to evade the attack, causing a stir among the bystanders.

Regrettably, the altercation resumed as the individuals engaged again in physical combat. Perhaps the other observer was the leader of Alex’s group, as he merely watched the events unfold. I observed a figure sneaking up on him with the intent to strike him from behind. In response, I quickly retrieved my dagger and flung it towards the would-be assailant, delivering a decisive blow and causing the fracas to come to a temporary halt.

“Who’s there?” Mike inquired, I remained silent, which appeared to agitate him, prompting him to repeat.

“Who’s there?” I exhaled audibly and revealed myself to them, which elicited a look of consternation. As they were positioned close to my car, I closed the distance between us. However, I was preoccupied with domestic duties, fatigued, and scheduled to commence my first day at school on the morrow. Thus, I was near my vehicle when Mike abruptly clutched my arm, impeding my forward motion.

“Who the hell are you?” He demanded an explanation regarding my identity, to which I refused to respond. In turn, he tightened his grip, causing discomfort.

I interjected coolly, “Let go of me.” Despite my tone, he persisted in maintaining his hold. I fixed him with a scowl, and he returned it with a smirk. How dare he. If he don’t let go of me right now, he’d be in the hospital.

“I said let go!” I reiterated unequivocally, finally prompting him to capitulate. I closed the distance between us, whispering something privately to Mike.

After insisting firmly, “If you were to lay a hand on me again, it would lead to your demise!” I left the location in my vehicle. Upon reaching my domicile, I exited the car and proceeded inside. In case my adversaries do make their way to my abode, I would gladly reside here in the Philippines. After changing into fresh garments and cleansing my visage, I retired to bed, gazing at the ceiling before drifting off. The subsequent dawn, as it marked my inaugural day at Knight University, I ensured not to be tardy. The name’s origin remains obscure to me, and yet here I am, standing in the educational institution’s parking lot, which is surprisingly vast. Apparently, the proprietor of this establishment is of considerable wealth.

Once again in my Maserati Ghibli Trofeo, students gawk at the vehicle as I haven’t alighted yet. I take the opportunity to observe their countenances and reactions. When I alighted from the car, the students were taken aback upon noticing that the driver was a female.

Whilst strolling, I overheard numerous individuals murmuring about my physical appearance, exhibiting both complimentary and derogatory remarks. However, I took no notice of the latter, as it would not serve me well. Furthermore, I wondered if such comments were customary whenever a new student arrived.

“Is she a transferee?”

“She’s so pretty.”

“She’s so ugly, I’m prettier than her!”

Despite their demeanor, I proceeded to the principal’s office, knocked thrice upon his door, and heard a faint response from him, giving me permission to enter. Upon entering the room, I witnessed the principal engaged in some tasks.

“Are you Ms. Coolidge?” He inquired.

“Yes, Sir,” I replied. He then proceeded to explain the school’s protocols and after concluding his briefing, presented me with my schedule. After bidding farewell to the principal, I proceeded to check my schedule upon exiting his office.

Name: Katerina Coolidge
Section: 1A

My designated name, Katerina Coolidge, is the only name I can utilize as my middle name, Takashi, has gained notoriety in the business world as well as within the clandestine society. Additionally, my secondary name Jade cannot be employed for reasons that will soon be made clear. I am taking eight courses, with four of them serving as my major. I am enrolled in section A and Mr. Henry Anderson serves as my advisor. Upon locating my classroom, I respectfully knocked before entering and saw a teacher positioned at the front.

Upon entering the room, I was promptly greeted by my professor, Henry Anderson, who then instructed me to introduce myself to the class. In response to his request.

“Greetings. My name is Katerina Coolidge, although I prefer Kaia. I am 17 years old.” I introduced myself to them and upon concluding, I directed my attention towards Mr. Anderson.

“You can sit at the back, Ms. Coolidge, just not at the very end.” Mr. Anderson directed me to a seat towards the back of the room, though not the very last one.

“By the way, I’m Henry Anderson, your adviser and subject teacher in Fundamentals of Accountancy, Business, and Management. Since you have a new classmate, I’m going to summarize what we discussed last week.” As we began to listen to his lecture on Fundamentals of Accountancy, Business, and Management, we were interrupted when an unknown individual forcefully kicked the door. I expressed my disapproval towards the individual responsible, only to be taken aback when I saw who it was.