CHAPTER SEVEN.

The last thing Maddox expected from her Thanksgiving is to spend it in warm Los Angeles, sitting around the dinner table with the only company of her parents, a turkey too big for the three of them and a strange unoccupied fourth place at the table, but perhaps the discovery of Savvy's case and the realization of the real possibility that she could someday inherit her mother's cancer have opened her eyes, realizing that life is too short to spend so much time away from the two people who gave her life.

Although the truth is that Maddox must admit that she is much closer to her mother than to her father. While it is true that she spent her illness with her and that strengthened their bond, Maddox and her mother had been close since Maria Easton gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl. That way they were both happy: Greg had a boy to introduce to the world of the military and hunting, and Maria had a princess to spoil, buy dresses for and paint her nails. Greg Easton's presence in the house had been rather sparse, so the two twins had ended up being mama's boys.

Greg came home from time to time, maybe once a year for his kids' birthdays, maybe for Christmas, maybe none of those occasions; so Dennis and Maddox had found comfort with each other and with their mother. Still, when Greg returned, he could tell that Dennis was a very sensitive boy, attached to his mother and rejecting any kind of tradition instilled by his father. And Maddox, who from a young age occupied the role of the perfect daughter, began to be Greg's ward, mainly in the matter of guns.

"Mamá!" Maddox exclaims when she arrives at her parents' house.

"Maddie! Oh, dear, it's been so long," Maria is quick to wrap her in her arms. Maddox has been taller than her for years, but the warmth of her embrace still reaches her whole body. "Come in, come in. Papá is on the kitchen. You know, he hunted the turkey."

Maddox rolls her eyes slyly. She knows her mother's opinion is closer to her own, but taking issue at this point with Gregory Easton isn't the best option. He retired from the army years ago, when his wife became ill, and now has a quieter job in the army administration. For Maddox it was a step up, slight but a step up nonetheless.

"Do I hear my two favorite ladies?" Maddox smiles when she sees her father with mittens, apron and in his hands the tray with the turkey. Gregory sets it down on the table, smoke still rising from the meat, and hugs his daughter tightly. "We missed you so much."

"I can see that! Moving to another state to keep me far from you," Maddox smiles again. "So who are we having over? I see another empty seat. Please don't tell me you've invited Jonah."

Maria smiles nervously, and Maddox raises an eyebrow as everyone takes a seat. "No, of course not, mija. We accepted a long time ago you weren't going to end up together. He'll be here soon, you'll see."

"He?" whispers Maddox with a frown. She looks sideways at her father, whose eyes are unable to meet hers, and Maddox doesn't have to wait much longer to find out who they're talking about, because the doorbell rings, and as soon as Maria opens the door, her brother Dennis walks in, accompanied by a girl. "You have to be kidding me. Papá, tell me this is not real."

Greg mutters. "You know I wouldn't have done this without telling you, but your mother wanted to. She wants the family back together. When you called, she figured you'd be up for a reunion. Her words, not mine."

When Maria walks into the dining room she has a big smile on her face, but Maddox can't help clenching her jaw and biting her tongue to keep from blurting out unfortunate comments. Dennis is much changed: he has longer hair, taller and stockier with some beard, but his eyes are still the same as always, so when she looks at him hundreds of memories come into her head and she can't stop her muscles when they force her to stand up.