CHAPTER FIFTEEN.

When ambulances park in front of the hospital that morning with gunshot wounded people, Maddox knows it's going to be a tough day. Still, that's not half of what awaits her.

"Good morning, Dr. Shepherd. Bailey put me on neuro today," Derek turns his head away from the computer to greet her, and since his expression isn't too jovial, Maddox takes it to mean he was expecting to see another intern. "I'm not Meredith but you could at least pretend to be happy to see me," Maddox laughs a little, but seeing the corners of Derek's lips turn up only slightly, she purses her lips. "Tough morning?"

"It's going to be," Derek sentences, nodding. He glances back at the screen. "Can you imagine? You're at work, you're doing your job and someone comes and shoots you, puts a bullet in your head. Nineteen years old."

"I called her parents as soon as I got the case. They're on their way. Also—"

"We need to get her to the OR immediately. The bullet went through the midline."

"Also, uh..."

"Look at the size of that hematoma. Also?" Derek asks, turning around. "You said also twice."

Maddox nods, her gesture somber. "Yes. Also she's pregnant. What do you need me to do, should I page Dr. Montgomery Shepherd to check on the baby?"

"No, she's too damaged to wait. We don't have time to waste. Prep the OR and then we'll call Dr. Montgomery Shepherd. If Kendra doesn't hang in there until we operate, the baby will be far too gone," Derek looks at her for a few seconds and then comes to his senses. "We have some tests on Kendra when she was admitted earlier. The CT scan shows this brain damage, but there is also an ultrasound that should show the baby's condition. Take a look," the man hands her some sheets, which Maddox quickly glances at. "What do you think?"

"The fetus is twelve weeks, according to the exam. It appears to be healthy, there are no abnormal behaviors, and everything seems to be developing well. Its heart is still beating, which seems like a miracle compared to its mother's condition. I would say there would be a chance to save the baby if it weren't only 12 weeks old. But considering that Kendra probably won't withstand the brain damage, I'd say there's no chance this baby would survive if we took it out."

"Exactly what I thought," Derek nods. "How do we proceed then?"

"Well, considering the facts, we have to try to save Kendra's life first. Give her a craniotomy and remove the bullet as soon as possible without damage, if possible, and then keep her vitals. However, if she doesn't make it, there's no chance for the baby," The man nods again, agreeing with her, and looks away from her to place his gaze on the x-rays once more. "I'm sorry. She's too young to go through this. I'll prep the OR right now."

"Wait, I'm going to walk with you. How have you been the last few days? Everything okay with your family?"

"I'm going to a store tomorrow to buy a T-shirt that says 'Stop asking me about my family,'" Maddox says, and it's the first smile she gets to see from Derek that morning. "I have two families now. Very dysfunctional families. The first one, the biological one, is good. I reconciled with my parents. Yes, I called them. Yes, they called me. No, I don't plan to visit them for a couple of months because I don't want Easter or 4th of July surprises. And the other family is crazier than my real family. Cristina thinks Burke is punishing her for something, Izzie and Alex aren't speaking and I'm guessing it's because Alex made some very hurtful comments, George is dating someone now so our house looks like a circus, and Mer, well, you know her. When will she be mentally stable? I, on the other hand, am fine."

"Wow, it's like you have your answers ready at home."

"I practice my lines every morning in front of the mirror. What is your life like now? I sense a bad vibe between you and Meredith."