CHAPTER EIGHT.

Derek shows her a couple of X-rays and smiles, "The tests came back negative. Normally when women have the cancer gene in any of its types it is common for them to develop it in biologically female organs, such as breasts or ovaries. Your lungs are free, there are no masses in the brain either. You can breathe now."

Maddox finally does, releasing a breath she didn't know was stuck in her chest. "Thank God," the girl smiles, but Derek raises an eyebrow and Maddox immediately comes to her senses. "Thank science, I mean. Okay, I don't have it now, but the possibility still exists."

"It does," Shepherd nods, contemplating the X-rays. "But if all goes as planned, you'll still be working here next year, and the hospital offers these kinds of services to its employees. There's an annual exam at all hospitals to keep us informed of our health status, so don't worry because if anything comes up, you'll know right away. Now," Derek clears his throat from his swivel chair. "We have a problem solved. Do you want to address either of your other two issues?"

"Issues?" Maddox sips his coffee. "Now we're calling a dysfunctional family and a dead baby 'issues'?"

"Come on, don't be like that. I was just asking."

"You're afraid I'm going to break down any moment now because you just gave me mildly good news, but there are still unresolved issues in my life, so you don't think it's wise to call them what I just called them."

The neurosurgeon blinks several times. "I'm impressed. Well, do you want to talk about your coward brother or your betrayal with baby Emily?"

"Wow, that was plain rude," Maddox feigns a sigh of disgust and Derek threatens to throw the pen at her. "I'm joking. I don't want to talk about it because I don't have the solution yet, so give my brain a few days to come up with something. By the way, did you know we have a dog now? Izzie's been so down that Mer thought it was a good idea to rescue a dog from the shelter. His name is Doc. I had to love him publicly for a few days before Izzie got tired of him, but secretly I hated him because he shed hair literally everywhere. And now I secretly love him because he barks at Izzie and George, which translates to usually leaving me alone while I eat breakfast. Silence trumps dog hair."

Derek laughs. "I have to say, your life is messier than mine."

"Yeah, no way. I'm still young, I get to screw up and make mistakes. You're what, forty? You should have your shit together and all you have is an ex-lover you still love, a wife you picked because you don't know how to make decisions and you live in a trailer," Maddox hums as she finishes her cup. "And debts. I'm sure you have debts too. Come on, nobody moves to Seattle from Manhattan and lives in a trailer."

"For the record, I'm thirty-seven," Derek mutters, grunting. "And what about Christmas, are you going to celebrate it with anyone?"

Maddox snorts. "Izzie's been going on and on about decorating the house, and the three of us have been very supportive, but I don't think I can take much more. I'm secretly hoping it's Meredith or Cristina who tell her first. I guess we'll have dinner together. I'm sure I'll come home tonight and see a huge Christmas tree in our living room. The American dream."

Derek smiles. "I think that's nice. Your peers are your family now. I had that too."

The girl clicks her tongue. "Yeah?"

"That crazy to think? I went to med school with Addison and Mark. They were my best friends. We did everything together."

Not everything, Maddox thinks mischievously, but doesn't say it outwardly because she knows it will be cruel even for her. Besides, chatting with Derek is fun and oddly reassuring, so she decides she doesn't want to mess with him. "Well, that's convenient."