After the Fog

*WARNING: This is not a happy story. Contains homophobic language and violence. P.S. This is my longest oneshot ever.*

You can do this, Ryan. You can do this. Besides, what's the worst that can happen, really?

"They could kill me," Ryan answered the irrationally optimistic voice in his head. There was no use trying to give himself false hope that coming out to his family would be easy. He knew that it might just be the hardest thing he'd ever do.

But he was just so sick of hiding. He was so damn tired of having to wear a mask in his own house, of lying to his entire family about his "girlfriend" just to keep them off his case. He refused to live a lie for one more day. He was going to be brave, even if it did kill him.

"Ready to go?"

Ryan jumped in surprise. Waiting for his boyfriend by the front entrance after school, he had been so lost in his own thoughts and worries that he hadn't heard Jake approaching. "Y-yeah," Ryan lied. "Let's go get this over with."

Jake raised his eyebrows. "You're not worried?"

Ryan shrugged. "Nah. I'm sure it'll be fine." He had been telling his boyfriend this all week, lying through his teeth every time.

Jake obviously didn't believe him, but said nothing as they cut through the schoolyard and headed home. As usual, the boys took the long way home, going down the back country road instead of through the neighborhoods. And they waited for their school to be completely out of sight before joining hands. It was safer that way.

"Hey," Jake said, as soon as there wasn't a single other person around to hear them. "It's going to be okay."

Ryan tried his best to look nonchalant. "I know that. I already told you. I'm not-"

"Yes you are," Jake interrupted. "Don't lie to me. I know you too well."

It was true. Ryan and Jake, both seventeen, had just celebrated their three year anniversary a week ago. And for the past three years, they'd spent every solitary moment they could together, repeatedly lying to their friends and families about where they were and who they were with. Always keeping each other a secret, and growing closer and closer together over time. The two boys knew each other better than they knew anyone else. And definitely better than anyone else knew them.

Ryan sighed in defeat. "Okay, you got me. I'm sorry I've been lying. It's just....I didn't want to make you worry. Especially when you're about to go through the same thing.

"You think, I'm not already worried?" Jake laughed. "Dude, I'm scared shitless. For both me and you."

At the beginning of the week, Jake and Ryan had agreed to both come out to their families that Friday. It had actually been Jake's idea. "Think about it," he'd said, as they had lunch together in their secret spot behind a tree. "This way, we'll both know that we're not going through it alone. And if my family kicks me out, you'll be able to take me in, and vice versa."

"What if both of our families kick us out?" Ryan couldn't help asking.

"Then we'll run away together," Jake had responded with a smile. "Just like we've always dreamed. We could ditch this shit hole of a town and live in the wild, surviving on whatever we can steal, and beating up anyone who gets in our way."

Ryan had laughed at the ridiculous notion that either of them, both being quite scrawny, could hurt anyone. Then he had leaned his head on Jake's shoulder, truly believing- as he always did when they were together- that everything would be okay.

Now, however, he wasn't so confident.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Jake?" Ryan asked; which, Jake knew, was his way of saying 'I'm not sure I want to do this'.