Just Avery

*WARNING: Contains some homophobic language.*

"Hey, um, I swear I'm not trying to be rude, but....like, what exactly are you? Ah, shit that came out wrong."

I smiled, patiently. At least this person was trying to be polite, although failing miserably. I've definitely heard worse since I moved to this school.
"I'm Avery," I said, kindly. "What's your name?"

"No no, I mean....like, um. Please don't be offended, but are you a boy or a girl?"

I wasn't offended, but I was slightly annoyed. Not at this poor, timid ninth grader who had obviously been dared by the older kids (who I could see laughing in the background), but at the question itself. This was not the first time I had gotten it, and certainly wouldn't be the last, but it never bothered me any less. Boy, girl, why does it matter?
I answered the way I always did. "What about you?"

The kid was taken aback. "Me?"

"Yeah. Are you a boy or a girl?"

He looked down at his obviously-masculine outfit before answering. "Um, I'm a boy."

I nodded. "And how did it feel to be asked that?"

He looked down in shame. "Pretty annoying, I guess. Are you gonna beat me up?"

The seniors in the background laughed harder. They knew perfectly well that I wouldn't. I smiled at the boy. "No, I'm a pacifist. I don't hurt people. Besides, I get that question a lot. Don't worry, I'm not offended."

The kid visibly sighed in relief, but then looked confused. "Okay, but....seriously what gender are you? I'm just curious."

I looked down at my unisex converse, torn jeans, and baggy shirt. I wore a beanie over my shoulder length black hair. One could say I dressed boyishly, but I also had very feminine features as a result of my birth sex. Most people assumed I was a lesbian.
I decided to quit playing games with the kid and tell him the truth. "I'm not."

"You're not what?"

"A gender. I'm not one. I'm just....Avery."

"Oh." The boy still looked confused, but I was done talking to him. The seniors behind him were starting to irritate me. I turned away to walk to class.

"Dyke!" I heard someone yell. I ignored them. I was used to it.

"Nah, man. I still say it's a dude."

"Fag!" Another voice said.

I walked faster to get farther away from them, only to be purposely tripped by Gianna Curtis, who hates my guts for some reason. The hallway filled with laughter. "So when are you gonna come out as a fucking tranny already?" She asked in her nasally voice.

"Wait, Avery's a tranny?" Someone asked.

"No," I said, sternly, picking myself up off the floor.

"No, I told you he's gay."
"No, it's a she, and she's a lesbian-"
Why couldn't they just leave me alone?
"Fag-"
"Dyke-"
"Freak-"
"Cross dresser-"

Finally, I lost it. "SHUT UP!!!" I yelled. "IM AVERY! JUST. AVERY."

Silence. Then, of course, the principle chose that moment to walk by. "What's going on here? Everyone get to class, now. You too, Miss Morton." He was talking to me.

I ran away from the scene, but I didn't go to class. Instead, I locked myself in the bathroom and cried. What is so difficult to understand about gender nonbinary???

It took me about ten minutes, but I pulled myself together. I had to get to class, and I really didn't feel like being yelled at for being in the boys' bathroom again.
Just as I was leaving, somebody walked in. He stopped when he saw me and we stared at each other. It took me a few seconds to realize that he was the freshman boy from this morning.
I moved to go around him, but he stopped me.

"Hey wait," he said.

I froze. Then, slowly, I turned to face him. "What?" I asked, hoping he didn't notice that I had been crying.

But he just stuck out his hand. "I'm Chris."

I stared at his hand for a moment, not knowing what to think. Then, I shook it. "I'm Avery," I said.

"I know," he responded, smiling. "Just Avery."

I smiled back. And that was how I Chris and I became best friends.