~meeting new neighbor~

The next few days go on uneventfully, as Centipeedle worked on the nest, using her acid to create a hole for you to curl up in, making sure to fill it with the softest foliage she can find, and using the thickest tree and bush branches to patch up the exposed parts prevent wind from coming in. Pretty soon it was a cozy warm enclosure that beat your old nest by a mile. It kept you dry during the rainfall, which was happening much more frequently, If anything, the only thing she struggled with was finding food. Unlike the forest, where there were you were better hidden and food was close by, Centi had to venture quite far to find a suitable nutrients for you, and it was quite hard for her to be discreet about it. But it was easily fixed by hunting at night, where she knew organics wouldn't be out.

But overall, it was a peaceful, relatively easy-going life.

How could it get any better?

"Whoa..."

One evening, you were stirred awake from your nap by the sound of an unfamiliar voice sounding from somewhere outside your nest. As you processed the voice, you came to realize it was high and young sounding belonging to a child.

...a child?

You lift your head up with a snort, tiredly opening your eyes to find a small young boy with fair skin and curly dark brown hair, wearing a salmon pink jacket and odd yellow rain boots with a bird pattern on them. But what interested you was the pink shield he had over his head, which protected him from the rain that was currently pattering around him.

His face looked to be alarmed and uncertain as he looked you over, seemingly in disbelief at what he was seeing. He seemed even more on edge now that he's gotten your attention.

"Uh..." seeing how you weren't attacking, he offered a shy, clueless smile as he took a step back. "H-hi...?"

HISSSS!

"AH!"

Almost instantly, Centi reared up over you, her coil tightening around you protectively as she hissed defensively at the organic stranger, brandishing her now acid dripping beak at him which effectively made the boy jump backwards with a yelp, nearly falling into a nearby puddle.

"YOU STAY BACK! I will not let you destroy my brood again!" She snarled at him, her eye gleaming with a surprising amount of spite.

"Don't hurt me!" He exclaimed, hands raised in surrender. "I'm not gonna hurt you... again!"

You tilted your head at him. Again?

"Lies! Why can't you or your group of gem-poofers just leave us alone!?" Centi jot back, arching her back defensively and snapping at him again. You could tell he couldn't understand her corrupt dialect as he just whimpered and took a few steps back with his hands raised. "I'm... Sorry..." he muttered pathetically. You suddenly felt a strange surge of empathy towards the small child.

You sniffed curiously in his direction. There was a thick scent of fear wafting about him, but he overall didn't seem threatening. In fact he looked completely harmless. Helpless even. You nuzzled your mate. "Calm down. He's just a gemling."

Centi turned to look at you in surprise.

"B-But...! He's the one who threw a broken square thingie at me...!" She protested, rubbing at the segment it hit. "And it hurt!" You frowned, looking at the boy for a moment. He looked stunned now for some reason. You hummed softly to yourself before looking back at centi. "Well... he... isn't armed now. Come on, be the bigger gem and relax."

Centipeedle whined lightly, her gaze flicking between you and him for a few seconds. Her eye scanned the small organic with distrust. Clearly there was a history between the two. However after a moment or two, she finally relaxed herself, residing to laying herself protectively over your body, the hard shell facing outward and her many legs wrapping around you. You simply gave her a light lick on the cheek in gratitude, before directing your attention back to the small child. "Greetings, small organic."

He stared at you dumbfounded for a minute. "You... you can still talk...?"

You nodded. "Centi helped keep (name)'s speech in check. (Name) talks with Centi a lot." You purred, nuzzling your mate's mane, earning a purr from her. "Centi a good listener."

"Oh well... that-- that's good!" His voice took on a pleasantly cheerful tone as he fully began to absorb the situation he was in. "This is great! Maybe we can... work something out!"

"Work something out my pincer.." you heard Centi grumble, not moving from her position over you. Of course, her contemptuous snarl wasn't understood by the boy and he instead focused on the new discovery he had just uncovered.

"Okay so... uhh, let's see... uhm..." he tapped his chin as his mind instantly filled with multiple questions at once. "Let's start out with introductions... My name is Steven!" He exclaimed, throwing his hands up cheerfully, making Centipeedle flinch. "And you already know Centipeedle..." he pointed to you with a tilt of his head. "And you're... (name)?" You nodded with a polite smile. "I like the way it sounds."

"I think it's cute to." Centi added, nuzzling you affectionately, to which you blushed in modesty.

His eyes flickered between you and Centi, watching and you and her beak nuzzled each other, purring and cooing to each other softly. He squinted for a moment before tilting his head at a sudden realization. "Wait... you and Centipeedle are... together?" His eyes started to twinkle with a childish excitement. "Like together together?"

Kind of an silly question. It was quite obvious that you two were an item. But you nevertheless answered politely. He was just a child after all. "Indeed we are." You purred, resting your cheek against centi's muzzle.

He gasped, squishing his now rosy cheeks as his eyes lut up brighter than the stars themselves as he leaned forward. "Ooooh my gosh! That's so cuuuute!" He gushed, giggling to himself in an excitedly giddy manner. You let a small smile curl your muzzle. This boy's aura was so bright with such a childish cheeriness that was quite contagious. Centipeedle must have felt the same way, as her mane had flattened substantially and her excessive drooling had slowed down significantly. Though she was still quite ridged in her stance.

"How long have you and Centipeedle known each other?" He asked, now leaning forward on a piece of lumber, eyes open and eager to learn more.

You and Centi exchanged glances. You opened your mouth to respond-

"Steven?"

The boy tensed up at the sound of a woman's voice overhead. "Uh oh... I better go. Can't have pearl figure out you're still here here..." He whispered, moving from his spot under the house. He steps back a few paces, waving to you both. "It was really nice to meet you guys! Bye for now!"

With that, the kid scampered off, leaving both you and Centi to reflect on what had transpired.

"Well... that went better then I expected..." Centi muttered, finally managing to relax herself. "That... Steven... he isn't as bad as I thought..."

You smiled, laying your head down with a purr. "Indeed he isn't..."

"Still... we should be cautious. He's an organic. And organics are unpredictable." Centi started to preen your back fur, prompting you to stretch out and purr in relaxation. "Let's lay a bit lower for a while. After which, I'll find you guys something to eat."

You smiled to yourself, feeling the soft scritching on your withers. Centi worries too much... you idly thought to yourself, kneading at your soft bedding.

What threats could a child bring to us?