🔥hot and cold🧊

⚠️ mildly dark themes presented; may strike some cords.

⚠️ ...and yeah, a gem gets sick in this; may hurt those who like to stick to SU rules.

~~~~~~~~

"Rrrgh... why isn't this working!?"

Centi whined in frustration at a cup of water, as you coughed up a plume of steam, groaning at throbbing, nearly painful heat that plagued your whole body. It hurt to the point you were afraid to move, fearing you might poof if something brushed you the wrong way. You felt so hot, but at the same time, you were suffering from chills, shivering at an unknown cold in your chest and midriff. Centi whimpered, her extra hands gently massaging your shoulders in an attempt to sooth you. "Ohh, my poor dear... how could I have not seen this coming!?"

It had crossed her mind before, but she'd never think it would actually happen, since she'd grown used to the fact that gems don't catch illness.

Healthy, non-carrying gems, that is.

Carriers are much more likely to contract some form of illness, due to the mother's energy being shared with the developing gemlings. And with corruption to render a gem's mental core unstable, it was a near guarantee that you'd likely catch one sooner or later.

Unfortunately for you, you managed to contract a very rare gem illness; "carrier's fever". It was technically a gem version of a fever, but like it's namesake, it's more likely to go after gems carrying geodes than sires or regular gems. And unlike either sires or regular gems, it is much more lethal to both the mother and a whole litter of gemlings. Its heat could rise so high, that a sick carrier to go into a premature labor, which results in higher chances of defects or at worst, a miscarriage. And the trauma of the unexpected birth would perpetually destabilize the mother.

"Figures it'd come for us at this state!" Centi hisses indignantly, before pressing her muzzle into your cheek.

You felt so hot to the touch...

Hotter than a gem's form should be..

Tears began to stream down her face as she started to realize how helpless she is in this situation. It's not like she could simply go off to look for something to sustain you. She couldn't bare the thought of leaving you alone, even for a second. And the human reasources Steven was bringing you weren't cutting it. They just weren't strong enough to cut through this alien illness. In fact, it only seemed to make things worse...

Was she seriously going to lose you and her second brood like this...?

"Oh, my precious loves, I'm so sorry..." She whimpered miserably, hugging you tight in her coils. You wheezed slightly, but forced yourself to smile at your distressed partner and purr at her. Though you wished to speak, your throat was so sore and dry...

"She'll be alright."

Centi suddenly snapped her head up towards the direction of the voice, her eye widening in surprise. "It's you!"

Weakly, you sat up to see who the voice had belonged to, smiling at the familiar visors glinting in the setting sun's light. Garnet...

Calmly, she made her way over to you both until she stood just beside you at centi's coils and Centipeedle didn't even try to snap at the fusion. Even as she brushed a gem embedded palm across your face, brushing your bangs aside to look you in the eyes. Garnet frowned at how glazed and tired they were. She looked uncertain for a split second. She then adjusted her visor again, only this time her unseen eyes were squinting slightly in concentration. "Yes..." She stares for a moment longer before a small smile lightens her face. "She'll be just fine." She looks up at Centipeedle, and patted at a her back in the most reassuring way possible. "We all just need to pitch in." She looked up at centi, phasing away her visors so she could look her in the eye. "We can do that, yes?"

"At this point, I'm willing to do anything, fusion!" Centipeedle chirped with a nod. Garnet nodded back and looked back at you. You were still breathing heavy and rumbling in discomfort, shifting your weight uncomfortably. She hummed for a moment and rubbed her chin. "...I have an idea. But I'll have to get closer to (name)."

Centi whined for a second, but quickly nodded again. She was desperate at this point and she was willing to do anything at this point. Garnet nodded and carefully climbed atop one of Centi's body segments, sitting herself down carefully. And with a bright flash of light, the form of garnet suddenly shrank down considerably and split into two separate figures. Once the light died down, two figures now stood on centi's coil.

One was blue and lean with long, fluffy light blue hair that nearly reached past her waist and covered the upper part of her face, much like your bangs did. She wore an elegant, frilly blue dress that covered her feet.

The other was red and had a bit of a stocky built, with a darker red square shaped afro, and an orange headband tied around her head. She was slightly shorter than her blue partner.

"A ruby and sapphire..." Centi rumbled softly to herself. "That's why Garnet was always on top of things..." to say Centi was more than relieved was an understatement. She may not remember much, but she was able to remember that a sapphire was able to see into the future. At least now she'll know how things will be in the long run...

"Here. This'll should help bring down your heat." Sapphire sat down beside your shoulder, and leaned over, pressing herself into the side of your face into a side hug. "How does this feel?" She felt so cold against your skin. That was when you remembered that this particular sapphire is known for her cryokinesis. You thought it was primarily caused by her emotions, but you didn't want to question it. After all it felt absolutely heavenly against your hot skin. You purred in response, nuzzling her gently. Sapphire smiled. "Good to see."

"I'll keep the little ones warm!" Ruby Piped, flopping herself onto your belly, making you grunt at the abruptness of it. "Careful ruby." Cautioned sapphire, as she rubbed your head gently.

"Right. Sorry." The red gem replied quickly, lightly rubbing your tum with both her small hands. "How's this, (name)? Is this better?" Your purring increased in temperature as the ruby's naturally high body heat warmed your belly, and the shivers you were plagued with finally started to recede. Sapphire noted this and her smile widened. "It's working." She said, her voice addled in relief. "A little balance of hot and cold will surely aid in bringing (name) back to full health."

"Oh, thank the stars!" Centipeedle sighed, wiping away at her tears. "I'll never take you or your fusion for granted again.."

"Heh, you're welcome!" Ruby mused to Centi, giggling at the light rippling she felt beneath her. "Hey, Sapphy I think they like this!"

Sapphire hummed in response and pressed a cold kiss to your cheek. "We've informed the others of your condition beforehand." She stated. "We'll help you both through this. Okay?"

You purred, softly.

"O-okay..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~

How did I manage to make everything go from light to dark?

Sorry about the sudden angst..

(Remember, these are oneshots, there's obviously time stretches between these pieces-)

And I'm aware that ruby and sapphire's abilities are controlled via emotion, but... here, they're not as calm as they let on.