Interviews

I don't really remember much about last night. There was some screaming, a little crying, and PLENTY of arguing.

     I laid in my bed, confused and tired.

     What could that girl have possibly done to get an 11?

     Just then, Fifi burst into my room and yelled, "Interview day!"

     I groaned as she pulled me out of bed.

     "Oh I'm so excited! I'll teach you how to walk in heels, and you're talking! Brutus will talk about your angle. But for now, posture, poise, and politeness!"

     I did not want to spend 4 hours with a Capitol citizen.

     For the first hour, Fifi taught me how to walk in high heels.

     My feet ached so much, and I felt like my heels were going to fall off.

     The next hour, she made me walk with a book on my head.

     "It's for your posture!" She squeaks. "Back straight!"

     Yeah I'll make YOUR back straight alright, I thought.

     Hour 3 was conversation starters, how to answer questions, and how to sound like a Capitol citizen. Let's just say I made Fifi drop the last topic.

     I had to squeak, be excited, and be young. Totally excited to walk to my death.

     The last hour, Fifi said I had done so well, I deserve the hour off.

     I laid on the bed, and shoved my face into my pillow.

     This is it. Tomorrow, I could be dead. 12 year old career. Nobody had seen any of those in years. Specifically 6 years ago.

I shove the painful memory away from my mind.

Norette Prowen, Norette Prowen.

Shut up! I told my mind. But her name will haunt me forever. My old best friend. My babysitter.

I was six. Norette was a loving, kind girl, that did anything and everything with me. She was nice to my brothers too.

Every day after school she would babysit me while my brothers trained or worked.

Then came the day of the reaping. I stood at the sidelines nervously waiting for this to be over. Then I could have my best friend back.

But alas, It was Norette's name that was pulled. My mother tried to calm me but I balled. And I balled tears even harder when no one volunteered.

Norette Prowen, my best friend and babysitter, died on day 2.

     And she was killed by her own district partner.

     I got up and started to walk around, exploring my environment, and forgetting my past.

     Avox's all over the place were offering me food, and comfort. But I told them to go away and rest.

     I sat on the ground in front of the TV. It was pretty useless for the tributes besides the Capitol broadcasts.

     I buried my face in my knees, and didn't look up. At all.

     And apparently, I did this for so long, that Brutus had to come and get me for my other 4 hour portion.

     We sat down at the table.

     "Alright Callie. I want you to play the cute feisty angle. Like: 'you mess with me and I'll make your fingers my knockers'", he said in a babyish voice. "But make it cute. The Capitol will just eat it up."