The Gong

I am herded into a hovercraft. There are scared tributes. Excited tributes. Bored tributes. And then there was me. Cato and I sit next to each other, even though Brutus told us not to. I know it's cheesy, but I secretly hold his hand until we land.

     I wince when the tracker is inserted into my arm, but still try to keep a straight face.

     I am escorted by peacekeepers into the room I will put my uniform on, and be launched. Orius comes in and places the outfit on the table.

     "Here. Trousers, shirt, you've got a belt, and a big jacket. But beware. This jacket is very thin, and will hardly protect you from what is to come.

     30 seconds until launch.

     Surprisingly, Orius gives me a hug and says, "I can see you wore the skincare. You know, that is an important routine. And you wont be able to do it in the arena. You put everything on. I'm impressed, Hadley."

     "Thanks. That sure means a lot."

     15 second until launch

     "Orius, I'm going to miss you. Even if you can be a little annoying," I chuckle.

     "Me? Annoying? Wow," He says sarcastically and dramatically. "And you're acting like you're already dead. Remember, Finnick Odair won when he was 14. You never know. I will see you again, I know it."

     5 seconds until launch.

     I stepped inside and waved goodbye as my plate rose up.

     When I was up, the sun blinded me. I look around me and see, the boy from 3 to my right, and the girl from 5 to my left, I scan the area. Forests. Forests, Forests, and more Forests.

     I see Cato, but he is almost on the other side of the cornucopia. Glimmer and Marvel are next to each other, and a little closer to me. I also see Katniss and Peeta.

     30 seconds.

     Shit! My analysis took 30 second? Alright, remember. Run, grab, defend, kill. I've got this.

                                     Katniss POV:

I rise up and see Peeta somewhere to my right. The girl from 2 is close to me, along with District One's tributes. I can't see the boy from 2, though. I also cannot see either of the District 4 tributes.

     30 seconds.

     Remember what Haymitch said. Do not go to the cornucopia. Though I wonder if the little career would. Would she dare go up against bigger, stronger kids? I do not know. But then in the distance, I see a beautiful bow and sheath full of arrows, and position myself for it.

     But in the corner of my eye, I can see Peeta shaking his head in disapproval.

     And oh so suddenly, the gong rings loudly in my ears.

                                         Callie POV:

The gong rings, and I immediately stumble and fall off of the cornucopia. I can already hear Brutus tutting at that. I get up and slowly brush myself off. But instead of running to the cornucopia, I casually begin to walk up.

     All around me, I can hear screams and cries. A part of me feels mercy, but the other part says, these people want to kill you. All of them. They may not deserve this, but they do at the same time.

     And suddenly, almost out of nowhere, the boy from 6 appears in front of me, sword and dagger at the ready.

     I start to shake, and realized if I had not been so cocky and walked so casually, I would not have been in this situation.

     "OY! CATO!" I scream, while me and the 17 year old boy circle each other.

    Now, Cato and I are about 10 yards away from each other, so I am extremely surprised he was able to throw me a sword.

     The boy from 6 turns pale, but still, he stands tall and lunges.

     I easily dodge him, and cut up his right arm. He winces as he continues to lunge at me, but easily move around and behind him. And pounce on his back. I start hitting him in the head with the butt of my sword, and kicking his sides.

     "Quit it Hadley, I'm done with your joking!"

     I chuckle, and say, "Well then it sounds like someone's funny bones broke," and then I snap his neck.

     I turn around and look at the body of the boy I just murdered.

     Grieve fills me, and I crouch down to say, "You did well. A worthy opponent. Just work on your defense more. You don't shield yourself the way you should. Next time." My voice cracks at the last part, but I get up and keep going.

     I twist my sword in my hand, and injure multiple people fatally, but not really killing them.

I see Katniss almost to the woods, and with all my might, I throw a nearby knife that was on the ground.

Sadly, it only impales her backpack.

Everyone I have defeated lays in a pool of their blood, and suddenly, I am bored.

The other careers have the same problem, but then I see someone.

And they see him too. But it's too late for him.

Before the boy can realize what is happening, my brother tackles him. But then I see his face.

It is the scared, bloody face of Peeta Mellark.