Gotta Go Back

Katniss POV:

After a few days, I willed myself to get up and start working again.

I instruct myself to do things like, now you have to eat, Katniss. Now you have to drink, Katniss, now you have to bathe, Katniss.

As I sit in my tree, drinking water, I hear the trumpets. They signify the starting of the games, but also announcing something going on or changing.

"Hello, tributes," Claudius Templesmith says. "I would like to announce that there has been a rule change. Both tributes from the same district will be crowned victors if they are the final tributes. Thank you, and have a good night."

And before I can stop myself, I am calling Peeta's name.

How could you be so stupid? I scold myself.

I want to track down Peeta right now, but I decide I will sleep, and build my strength to track him tomorrow.

Callie POV:

I curse and bury my face in my hands. At least now, Cato won't want me dead. This rule changes everything. I won't be able to be on my own.

But now you have a chance to go home! To have your big happy family! To your brothers and parents. You and Cato can both go home! Together!

Yes, but he betrayed me! He killed Chase!

Oh please, it was going to happen eventually. You're lucky it didn't happen sooner.

Should I let him find me?

Right now, I have no idea what I want to do. The topic of Cato weighs in my head like a thousand victors of District Two.

I come to the solution that if he finds me, then I will come with him, but I will try hard not to let him.

     You may hate me for it, but right now, I hate him. Almost as much as everyone else.

So I sit in my tree, hoping my brother doesn't find me.

 Cato POV:

I shoot up from my seat as soon as I hear the rule change. I don't care if it's night. I have to find my sister. And I need to let her know how sorry I am. Honestly, I don't know what she saw in that skinny boy... what was his name? Well, doesn't matter now.

I pick up my things, which doesn't take long because I hardly have any, and set off into somewhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katniss POV:

     As dawn approaches, I pack my things and climb down from the tree. I head off, down in the direction the stream is flowing.

     This is the smartest direction for him to go, and has the key to survival. I hope he knows that.

                                   Cato POV:
     I have been walking all night. I have got to find her. I have got to find my sister. If I were Callie, a charismatic, tricky, brave, and sly 12 year old girl, where would I hide. But now since I feel like I am none of those things, I can't find her.

     Cato, just shut up and find her. That is the biggest priority right now.

     I feel like my chest just might burst open if I don't.