Chapter 10

And then, just when it all should have ended... I heard a growl to my right and the world sped back up. My eye flew open as a huge brown wolf struck the large cat from the air. The cat stands defensively, but within second the wolf attacks and snaps its neck. It never even stood a chance. Just like I hadn't a few moments ago.

I hear popping sounds and before I know it, the large wolf is replaced with Marek, who by the looks of his blood speckled face is battling anger and fear as he quickly walks up to me.

"What is WRONG with you!?" He says shoving me back. Then the rest of the group who had been hiding comes out of the trees and holds him back. They also effectively block my exposure to a full frontal view of Marek. I land sharply on my ass. He really hadn't held anything back when he pushed.

"W-what?" I say unsure why he is mad at me. Like I asked to come out here in the first place.

"You were just going to let it attack you!" He says shaking with what I'm sure is rage now. "You didn't even try to fight. You just closed your eyes and gave up." I stand up wiping leave off of my jeans.

"What did you expect. I was never going to be able to fight that thing alone."

"You could have. You didn't even try." His voice broke then a little. "You didn't even try... I can't lose you too."

"I'm sorry...." I wipe a tear that fell from my eye. The adrenaline was finally breaking, and my body was shaking from excess energy.

"Trainings done for the day...I'll take you home." He turned, walking away from me, and what I would assume was toward civilization. He is stopped short though in order to put on a pair of shorts one of the guys is holding. Then we continue to walk.

Once we had almost made it back to the trail the rest of the group split off and we were left alone in silence. We made it back to the house where Marek retrieved his keys before we rode back into town. I thought about what had happened in the woods. I never really considered how others would act if I had died. My mother would obviously have taken it hard. I'm all she really has but. I didn't think anybody else would have been impacted. Now, with Marek...maybe dying wasn't the answer. Or at least living is some small way to pay back for everything I've done wrong. Dealing with the consequences, the emotions left behind, instead of trying to block them out.

We pulled up to my house without a word. I looked over to him but he kept his eyes pointed out the driverside window. I thought about something to say, but was left with nothing. So I just got out of the car and went inside for dinner.

Marek didn't talk to me for the rest of the week. I hadn't heard from him or seen him. And even after spending so little time together I missed it. I was getting used to the company. The socialization. People in school and around town still treated me as pariah. Not just those who see me as the girl who survived the car crash that also killed her best friend. But also, the Lycans who see me as some weird outsider, who also happened to kill one of their kind...? I haven't noticed any Lycan abilities. I still don't believe it's true that I am now some mythical dark ages monster, but I'm also scared that I'll find out its true in front of my mom, or the other "Humans" at school. I don't even know what to look out for, what to avoid.

I was lucky I didn't have to try very hard in any of my classes, otherwise I would be failing. I spend the entire time on my laptop researching possible information on werewolves. The teachers assume I'm writing notes in my notebook, since I'm usually scribbling down any information, I find pertinent into it. But instead of civil war facts, I'm writing down all the most popular werewolf knowledge: Silver (Possibly dangerous?), Wolfsbane (Will kill me, or any other human for that matter. Do not ingest!!) Full moon (fiction makes me turn- truth: encourages a shift?). I was currently in the library where I wasn't finding anything of use. I needed to ask the Wilks if they had any real literature I could read about these things in. But I also didn't want to run into Marek. But I was also less than a week away from another full moon and I wanted to know as much as possible in case I shifted, or whatever.