Prologue

The rain was falling hard, the wipers working overtime to try and clear the torrential downpour. I'd have a second or two of vision before the window blurred again. Though it didn't make much of a difference because my headlights only offered a few feet of visibility in the thick rain. Without any other cars or streetlights, I just followed what road I could see. Teresa kicked up the volume of the song that had been playing nonstop all summer, and we burst out singing the catchy chorus together. She turned her phone on me with the flashlight lit, meaning I was being recorded, and I turned to the camera singing, and when I turned back to the road ahead, I only managed a quick glimpse of the large animal dashing in front of me, before my body instinctually, slammed the brakes and jerked the wheel. After that I couldn't remember much.

I was told, the car had missed the deer, or dog or whatever had run in front of the car, but that the car had slid across the wet road and rolled off into the woods down a short incline. Had my lights not remained shining up to the road, the car that had stopped and called 911 would never have seen us. Which means nobody would have survived. I wish that had been the case... But instead, the firefighters were able to pry my body out of the car and the ambulance was able to rush me to the hospital. Now I'm lying in a bed hooked up to monitors with a broken leg, and a bruised face. I'm lying here listening to my parents tell me that my best friend never made it out of the car alive. Why should I have survived, and not her? What made me so special? How was I going to keep on living without her...?