Chapter 8

After Marek had changed back into a human and put his clothes back on, he drove me back to my mother's house. I sat in silence staring absently out the window. How did my life get here? One minute I'm driving along with my best friend on the way back from a concert and the next...There are wolf people living amongst humans... my friend having been one, her family and now apparently, I am one now as well.... what weird dimension had I been thrown into.

"Do you want to stop and get some lunch? You didn't eat anything this morning before you ran out. I know you are probably starving. Going through a transition takes a lot of energy." He asked me while he changed the radio station.

"Um, I guess so." Of course, my stomach grumbled loudly at the idea of food. It was loud enough that I know Marek would have heard it, and my face was warm. I don't know why normal functions of the body had to be embarrassing. Like someone would judge my stomach for reacting to hunger. But I still wish it would not do it so loudly.

"What are you in the mood for? Rabbit, Squirrel, Deer?" I looked over at him with wide eyes. "Sorry, that was a joke. Maybe insensibly timed, what with uhh... everything."

"Umm... just like some regular place, with regular people food and regular people maybe." I said, quickly.

"Yeah okay," he said chuckling. When we got into town, he parked in front of the diner in the center of town. "Burgers seem pretty normal. Though I would like to point out they too come from animals, they are just more processed..."

"You don't actually eat raw animals, right?" I asked

"No, not all the time" He said as if that was ludicrous, "My mom's cooking is much better." He looked over and saw how insane I thought that sounded. "Look, I'm just saying, as a wolf, it's just instinct, and a little fun. But we don't just get hungry and go straight for Bambi... The grocery store is a-lot more convenient."

"Yeah, sure of course." I spoke

"You know that turkey my mom made last thanksgiving," he said

"Yes, it was amazing she is an amazing cook." Mrs. Wilk had always been the best holiday cook. Holiday hams, and thanksgiving turkeys.

"Yeah, well you can thank me for catching it." He said smirking and leaving me in the car as he headed into the diner. He... that...

I shook my head and exited the car to follow him inside. He had sat himself into a booth and I slid into the bench across from him. I picked up the menu and looked through my options. I really was so hungry. If I thought the thought of food made my stomach growl, Then the smell of it made my stomach yell.

"I'm going to run to the restroom, if the waitress comes over, just order me a water." He said as he slid out of the booth and walked away. I watched him leave for a moment, then looked back to the Menu.

"Hi there," I was startled as a voice spoke just to the side of me. The waitress had come up. "What can I get you to drink?" She asked.

"Um, can we just get two waters please." I ask.

"Sure thing," She furrows her brow slightly, but walks away to get the waters. I put my menu down. I had been to this diner many times before, and there wasn't anything new on it. I knew what I was getting. The waitress came back with the waters as she set them down, she spoke again.

"So, which pack are you from then?" She speaks. I wasn't completely aware she was talking to me, as I had no idea what she said.

"Sorry, What?"

"What pack are you from? We don't get a lot of travelers through here." She spoke. She was nice, but she seemed to put a bit of authority in her voice.