Chapter 13

There is enough light to see the path we took clearly the moon is bright tonight. It's a long way back and the further I get from the party the quieter the forest grows around me. Without all the bodies and the fire, its alot chillier out than I thought. I hug my jacket to my body. The path ahead of me starts getting harder to walk, theres more leaves and roots and rocks than I remember there being on the way to the falls. I come to the conclusion that I must have gotten turned around and am no longer on the path that can take me back to the school and am instead, once again lost in the woods. This time though its nearing midnight, and I'm all alone.

I continue stumbling through the dense under brush hoping I'm headed in the right direction. When I start smelling a somewhat familiar smell. But not in a good way. It's the musky urine smell I smelled just before I came across the mountain lion. I wasn't sure how many mountain lions were in these woods, but what kind of luck would I have to have to come across two of them. I just had to keep moving and hope it wasn't near by or stalking me. If I could just get out of the woods I'd be ok. My heart unfortunately would not let me talk myself out of being scared it started beating louder and louder. all I could hear was my heart at this point. If there was a big cat following behind me i'd never hear it coming over the thundering of my heart. My steps start getting clumsy until I inevitably end up crawling on my hands and knees. I can't keep going, not like this I find a large enough tree to sit beneath. the large roots come up out of the ground creating a slight cavity to sit inside. I try to catch my breath, but I think I've already started a panic attack that will just have to run its course.

I've had them before, panic attacks. Some before the accident, but many more after. I could get into a car for at least a week without having one. It was a main focus for my therapy to be able to work through a panic attack when one came on. It was a lot easier when there was someone there to talk you through it. I decided to reach for my phone. maybe I could pull up a map and see how far off the trail I had gotten myself. But its nowhere on my person. I must have dropped it after I fell down. I wasn't even sure how far I moved since beginning to crawl. What could I do now. Im all alone in the woods. Nobody knows where I am, I have no phone, there could most certainly be a mountain line on my trail easy to eat me alive and I have no way to call for help. If I literally yelled out the mountain lion could find me even quicker. I wished Marek were here. He would protect me like last time. Then I remembered maybe I could get him. I don't know how close you have to be for the werewolf ESP thing to work, but maybe I could get him to find me. Or to call my phone so I could find it. ok I just have to hope it would work. And that I could remember how to do it. HE is the only person so far i've done it with. But its all I've got.

I close my eyes and take as deep of breaths as i can in and out to help me calm down. I throat about Marek and tried to visualize some kind of invisible connection between our brains.

"Marek? Please help, Im lost. Im so lost, And I can smell Mountain lion, and My phones gone, and the trails gone, and I don't know what to do. Im so scared I need you. I need you really bad." I feel a slight tug on my brain like there might be something there

"Marek if you can hear me please say something, anything. I know its a long shot you can even hear me where ever you are, but it's all i've got, and if these GODDAMN superpowers are worth anything they should be able to help me right now..."

"Mar where are you, Im coming, just hold on". I just start sobbing in relief. I hear him in my mind, and the loneliness slips away slowly. "Tell me where you are and Ill try and figure out where you are I've got friends spread out in the woods looking too. We are going to find you I promise."

"I don't know. I was at a party at the falls and then I tried walking back to the school but I got lost now I'm under some big ass tree with a weird root that kinda arches up out of the ground." It's quiet for a little bit. Almost too long I almost want to call out again but then I hear something. Something big making its way through the woods. It would be a mountain lion. They were too late, they didn't find me in time and now all thats going to be left of me is a few bloody scraps of fabric. I try to cover my mouth so my breathing isn't so loud and I press myself into the tree as much as I can. My eyes are blinking through the tears that are still falling from my eyes. But through them I can see something making its way through the tree's. It's paws lightly stepping through the leaves with its nose close to the ground sniffing. Its blurry and I cant completely tell what it is. I try blinking the tears out of my eyes to see clearer. When I do I spot a large dog instead of a cat and let out a loud sigh of relief. It's big head lifts at the sound of my breath and its ears twitch in my direction.

"Maura?" A voice says into my mind. Its not familiar but I don't really care at this point because its a voice.

"Yes it's me, Im here" I say sniffling slightly as I climb out from under the large tree.

"Good, I thought I was just going to find a body" it says sitting back on its hind legs "Well climb on Ill take you back to the alphas house, we aren't too far"

I go sit on the sandy wolfs back and its stands and starts running. I have to hold onto to its fur and I hope I'm not pulling too hard but we are running fast and I dont want to fall off. While we run two other wolves pull up onto either side of us. one makes eye contact with me

"I told you we would find you" and it's Marek's beautiful voice. I blush lightly though I hope he can't see in the dark.

We finally stop a little ways before the end of the woods. We are close enough though that I can see the lights of the Wilk House a couple yards ahead. I hop down from the wolfI was riding and he takes off back into the woods. Then I hear some pops and my eyes find two very naked people so I immediately look away again. Ill have to remember to just wait whenever I hear that sound unless I want to get an eye full each time. Before Im able to turn around again some arms find their way around me turning me into them. Im met with a warm bare chest. But instead of tensing up I relax into the body and breath in deeply.

"You need to stop scaring me, its getting a little tiring" a voice rumbles from the chest. I sigh into him.

"Trouble just seems to follow me around." He pulls me back to look at me. I must have had something in my hair because he reaches to pull it out.

"Yeah no shit, I've been rescuing you since you got your foot stuck inside the jungle gym bars at recess." I roll my eyes a little and wipe the dampness I feel on my face.

"Think I could get a ride home?"

"Well, I certainly can't trust you to get there by yourself can I" He says leading me to the lights at the edge of the forest. "What were you even doing in the forest alone anyway? Didn't you have a friend to walk home with?"

"Umm well, I guess I didn't want to make anybody leave with me. I didn't even really know we were going to a party when we left, so I didn't really have a plan on how or when to get back." Here it was. The Marek that we had always expected. The 'disappointed dad'. The 'why didn't you call me sooner'.

"Ok well next time... just tell me that way I can make sure nothing bad happens to you. Okay?"

"Ok...next time." I smile a little bit to myself. It's not how it seems, I know that. But it feels nice to be cared for. Even if it's in a brotherly way. Any care Marek wants to give to me I will take.