Chapter 15

When we do make it to the clearing Marek has to carry me because the pain in my head has started to spread to my spine. He seems to take care not to jostle me as he moves me through the woods. I try to hold everything in but every now and then a cry escapes. Marek responds with soothing words, and somewhere I can feel his thumb lightly rubbing but the pain is dulling my ability to know where sensations are coming from.

He finally sets me down. I expect its would be grass if it were summer or spring but the leaves have covered the ground and I hear some light crushes beneath me.

"What stage are we in" I hear a mans voice, I think its Mr. Wilk.

"The pain has moved into her spine, She wasn't been able to respond to me much for most of the drive." Marek responds

"Sounds like we are moving along well then, should be within the next hour or two" Their talking is interrupted by a cry of pain. Someone grabs my hand and hold tight to it.

You are doing great, just hand tight it will all be over soon.

Im unable to reply in any form. My body is clench tightly into a ball, as if making myself smaller would save me from all of the pain. The pain doesn't get worse, if it could get worse I'd probably die. It just remains a constant hum throughout my entire body. No breaks, no respite, just a constant pain. Then the sounds begin. Splintering, and crackling at first, then snapping and popping.

"We are nearly there" Someone says.

Im exhausted. I just want some kind of break. I want it to end. And then suddenly There is no more sounds. And the Searing heat and pain subsides to a dull ache. I can hear my breathing again, and my heart beat. My awareness of sensation besides pain returns, and it feels odd.

"Open up your eyes Maura. It's over." I do open my eyes. I see Mr Wilk standing above me, and I see the trees and the sun. I thought it might be night now, but it's only nearing noon. I lift my head and try looking down to see my body. I expect it to be mangled or burned, but what I see isn't what I really expect. Its not human. I see four dark fury legs and paws. and if I focus my eyes enough I see a snout in place of my own nose.

"Ill leave you to it for now call me if you need any help" Mr. Wilk says and starts walking back to the woods. No wait don't leave me here alone! A series of yelps comes form my..well I guess my snout.

Maura? You okay?

I look around and see the dark brown wolf that I know is Marek sitting beside me. I want to respond, but how do I talk in dog. I can't speak dog. I hear a high whine come from me.

Just remember to visualize and thing what you want to say, just like when in human form.

I concentrate on him and try to think of what to say. Am I ok? NO. Im a freaking dog. and I was already clumsy with two feet now Im going to be tripping over 4 of them at a time.

When do I get to change back?

Soon probably, until you learn to control it it just happens randomly or when you sleep. The transition isn't easy to hold in the beginning.

So Im stuck like this until I just go back or sleep? I worry I might just be stuck like this forever. My mom will have lost a daughter and gained a dog. She never let me have one because they shed too much. Now I'll shed all over the house.

Hey just relax. its important to remain calm. why don't you try standing up.

Because I don't know how.

Just try controlling one paw at a time until they are all under you. He demonstrates with his own form. Setting down his front paws and then pushing up off the ground until he is standing over me.