Chapter 14

I woke with sweat the next day. My pajamas were drenched through and soggy. I wondered if I had had a nightmare but couldn't recall anything during my sleep. Usually the nightmares are easy to remember.

I get myself out of bed and stumble to the shower. The hot water isn't feeling as good as it usually does to clean away sleep so I turn it down to a cooler temperature and it feels much better. I finish my shower and I put on a robe and find my way downstairs. The temperature in the house says its only 65. I should not feel this warm. I find a thermometer and decide to take my temperature. Maybe my previous night in the woods had gotten me sick. The thermometer beeps and I pull it away to find I have a 101 degree fever. No wonder Im feeling like shit. My mother walks into the kitchen and sees me.

"Honey, do you feel alright, you don't look well at all?"

"I have a fever" I show her the thermometer.

"Oh my goodness, you are burning up. Go lay down... Do you need me to stay home?"

"No I'll be fine I just need to rest, it was probably being out last night it was colder than I thought it was going to be." I say wiping my brow where droplets have started to accumulate.

"Ok well, Just call me if you need something, or you need me to come home." she says looking me up and down while she gathers up her work things.

"I can't. I lost my phone last night, It must have fallen out of my pocket."

"Well then I can't just leave you what if you need to go to the hospital."

"I'll be fine, I'll just ask Marek to take me"

"Oh? And how will you get ahold of him?"

"I don't know email?" I grab a glass and fill it with ice water. I take a sip and it feels better than Ice cream.

"You've been spending alot of time with him.. He dropped you off last night?"

"Yeah so" I say

"Nothing, just... Well you two seem quite attached?"

"Mom what are you trying to say?"

"I love that you two are reconnecting, but are you sure its healthy to latch on to Marek. You both lost someone and that trauma could be an issue later..."

"Mom we are friends, and he needs someone to look out for, and I like him looking out for me."

"But that's what I mean, you are each filling a role for each other, like a trauma hole, and it might be healthier for you both to find some other way, that won't cause problems that neither of you are ready to deal with.."

"Why does trauma hole sound like a euphemism for something else. Do you want me to just put your worries to rest. We aren't sleeping with each other."

"THAT is not what I meant" My mother says putter her hand to her chest defensively, "But how can you be sure he doesn't try to use you..."

"He would never, EVER use me like that mom. Im like a little sister to him. Can we please not talk about this I feel like Im going to vomit."

"Okay, fine discussion over. Go lay down. I'll bring you some Advil before I leave. Email me if you need me to come home."

I trudge back upstairs and fall into my bed. The sheets are still damp but I don't want to change them because I'm sure I'll just sweat through the next set. My mom comes in to give me an Advil and the doorbell rings. She leaves to go an answer it and from my bed I can hear her greet them.

"Well, Marek, what a surprise." Oh god what is he doing here. This is only going to fuel my mothers pseudo psychiatric thoughts. I can't hear any more of the conversation, but I hear the front door close. Then I hear my door creak open. I open my eyes and see Marek approaching my bed.