𝒪𝓃ℯ 𝓁𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝓉𝒾𝓂ℯ

"Y/n get the hell down here and make yourself useful," my adopted dad shouted

I walk down the stairs and see what my father wants me to do.

"Go get me some more sake you useless brat," he says throwing the empty bottle of sake my way which I managed to dodge by a hair.

It's always been like this since I was a little girl. He would shout, hit, throw anything in sight, and insult me. He would say that my real family didn't want such a disgrace as me or how I'm a curse who brings nothing but bad omens among the family. I'm used to it though, I have become immune to all of his abuse and torture. The only thing that makes me happy is my adopted mother, she is kind and caring unlike my father here. She would always brush my hair and wrap it before I went to bed, she always bandages me up after my father beat me to a pulp, but the most important one of all is that she treated me like her very own daughter, and I loved it until she turned ill. That's when my father started drinking more than ever, I got so scared one night I ran into my mother's room and cuddled with her all night. Even then she whispered nothing but sweet Compliments and soothing back rubs till I fell asleep. After that my mother told me if I ever felt scared like that I can always sleep with her In her room.

"What the hell is taking you so long?" he screamed from the living room

I quickly grab another bottle and deliver it to him in a calming manner. If he ever saw that I was upset he will yell at me, and he would beat me till I passed out.

"Here you are father, I'm sorry for taking so long," I say bowing

"Tch, just go make your mother some soup and get the hell out my face," he spat

I hurry to the kitchen and make her some miso soup. First, I make the dashi which is the broth. I start by Rinsing the kombu placing it in a medium pot with water and gently simmering it on low heat. After ten minutes I remove and discard the kombu, Meanwhile, I rehydrate the wakame. Place it in a medium bowl, cover it with warm water and set it aside for 5 minutes. Next, I make the miso slurry. Which is putting some of the hot dashi into a small bowl adding the miso paste, and whisking until it's smooth. Finally, I add the miso mixture to the remaining dashi, Drain the wakame and add it to the soup, along with the green onions and tofu and Simmer the soup over very low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, just to warm it through. Once I was finished with the soup I pour it into two bowls, One for my mother and one for my father. I put my mother's soup on a tray along with a cup of water and chopsticks. Once I was done walk down the dark cold hallways to her room.

"Mom I made you some soup, can I come in?" I spoke through the door

"Yes," she says weakly

I enter the room and place the tray on the side of her futon. I gently pull her up in a sitting position so when she is eating her food she doesn't choke.

"Is your father still mistreating you?" she asked

"I'm pretty sure you can hear his screams and the loud sounds of glass being shattered" I spoke out sarcastically

"I have arranged for you to get married," she said out the blue

What the hell did she just say? I had never been married before and kinda don't want to though. It is just a lifelong commitment you make when you think you love someone but find out that boring, lazy, and cheater.

"Nah I'm good ma"

"It's already done"

"What but I don't want to get married"

"It's for your safety"

I put my head down in defeat, I must fulfill my mother's wishes because it could be her last.

"When will I meet him?"

"You'll meet him in 2 days at midnight when you know your father is asleep"

I doze off at a random part of the ceiling raking in the good/bad news from my mother. Half of me is excited to be leaving this hell hole and the other half is upset because I'm leaving the only person who loves me and I'm leaving her here to rot.

"I know I'm not going to see you again," I said with tears blurring my eyes

"No, you won't"

I lay my head in her lap while she strokes my hair sweetly, giving this might be the last time I ever feel her touch, voice, warmth, and affection. The tears in my eyes are now pouring out like a water stream, I could never imagine living in a world where the only person I ever loved is not here. My mom is close to death and I'm getting close to being wedded, the parallels to these events bring nothing but distraught to my heart. If only it was that bastard of a father instead of her, the void in my heart would probably never heal from the abuse and degradation he put me through.

"My sweet child I'll always be with you"

"You promise?" I chocked out

"I promise"

I sit in her arms wondering about my soon-to-be husband. Will he be nice, protective, and strong like my mother or will he be manipulative, abusive, lazy, and downgrading like my father?. I don't think I can handle another abusive relationship with another male, it's just harder for me to open up and not be defensive knowing that he could hit me or say something that will mentally make me feel useless and Unworthy. On top of that, I'm a foreigner that was dropped on someone else's doorstep without any regard, if you ask me I'm must have been a disappointment all along but this time around I'm getting punished for it. Everywhere I go I'm being looked at like I'm a piece of trash in someone's garbage or a witch who has been shunned from her coven.

"Do you want to sleep with me tonight?"

"Not tonight you need your rest"

"Well goodnight honey"

"Goodnight ma"

I stand up with my mother's tray and walk to the kitchen to wash up the dishes in the sink. I make sure to not wake my father up because he'll start his tantrums. I clean up the living room area also, making sure to not step on any broken glass in the process.

When I was done cleaning up I went to my room and lie down on my bed. I can't help but think about what is going to happen to me, will I be ok in the hands of a man I don't know, or will I learn to love this man I will soon be calling my husband?

 I can't help but think about what is going to happen to me, will I be ok in the hands of a man I don't know, or will I learn to love this man I will soon be calling my husband?

A/n- Happy Black History month everybody, I hope you enjoy this chapter🤎🤎🤎🤎🤎